Texas Wild Feral Hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't a land owner in Texas, your opportunities are MUCH more limited than they are in Oklahoma unless you're swimming in money.

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2011/sep/ed_1_publichunting/index.phtml

“About 12 years ago, we started having tons of hogs,” Carpenter says. “So now I have it opened up where you can come out with archery equipment or a crossbow year-round and hunt hogs. People are just eating that up.”

One of those hunters is James Key of Round Rock, who has hunted and fished at Granger WMA for 10 years. For him, public hunting represents an excellent alternative to a private lease. It’s affordable and convenient, and the wild game at Granger is plentiful.

Key estimates that he sees wild pigs on every third visit, a rate that would make almost any hunter envious. He has also taken the time to learn the land and the best times to hunt.

“It’s my getaway from the city,” Key says. “I can get there in 35 minutes and feel like I’m out in the middle of nowhere. There’s over 10,000 acres out there to hunt. I go during the weekdays, and I may see somebody out there once out of every 20 times I go. It really does kind of feel like your own lease.”

"The Granger WMA is a unique property that holds many game animals, but most hunters know the area for the big white-tailed bucks that this area has produced over the years. The management area has maintained good age structure in its buck herd by offering either-sex deer hunts only through bow hunting. Many hunters look to hunt the area below the Granger dam, but big deer can be found throughout the management area. The area has a healthy population of feral hogs too, and many hunters chase these animals throughout the year."

https://texashuntingtimes.com/granger-wildlife-management-area/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom