Texoma guide referral please....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guide I used to use for years has now retired and my young kids want to go for their birthday this spring now. Can you guys please recommend some guides that go out from the Oklahoma side.

I searched threads on this topic, but I think the most recent one I found was 2012.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shawn Morales with Crosswinds out of Catfish Bay is an excellent guide as are 99% of the guides on Texoma. However, he is young and very helpful for the kids. He books up well in advance for the prime time, so get a call in soon.

James Allen with Blue Water is also out of Catfish Bay. He is an excellent guide and is a good choice to go with. He is friendly and helpful.

I have fished with guides out of Catfish Bay 3 times and guides out of Soldier Creek twice (company 5 boat trips). I can't remember all of the guides out of Soldier Creek but at the time the Scarberry's were 3 of the guides and did very well. Father and 2 sons. I think it may be just 1 of the sons now and the dad has retired. It is tougher to get a personal feel of the guides when each boat has 4-5 men who are drinking (not the guides) and cutting up with each other.

I have used Buncombe Creek and Alberta Creek boat ramps and cleaning docks several times since fishing out of my own boat. Alberta Creek has a separate cleaning dock for the guides and Alberta Creek guests so I haven't had any interaction with Alberta Creek guides. Buncombe Creek cleaning dock is open to guides and those who have paid to use the boat ramp. I have interaction with a couple of the guides who operate out of that marina. I can ensure you one of those guides is great about putting you on fish, but its more of a hurry lets get your fish and go because I have another group coming in behind you. When at the cleaning tables, he told his customers we were cleaning our fish some weird way and we don't know what we are doing. Yes, plenty loud for all to hear. I was cleaning the striper and removing the red meat like I was shown by the guides out of Catfish Bay. It takes very little extra time, but the difference it makes at the table is noticed for a better tasting meal. I asked the guide on his Facebook bragging post that always includes his pricing and "fish cleaned and bagged", if he removes the red meat. He replied "I do that if the customers tip good". He then hid that comment so others couldn't see it. Frankly, I think to talk down on someone doing something a way that you will do for better tippers shows the character that I wouldn't want to support. To the OP, if you want the name of the guide I wouldn't use, please PM me.

Hopefully I am not too late with the information you asked about. Just remember Texoma has 100s of guides and very few will do you wrong. Guides have a different personalties and people tend to have different expectations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom