Thank You, General Motors......NOT!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not one, but two stories of GM expanding its China operations at the expense of the American taxpayer. Oh, and one of those stories really ought to "hose" the United Auto Workers.

Enjoy.

GM CEO Says to Add 600 China Dealers in 2012

BEIJING, Apr 23, 2012
Reuters

GM CEO Dan Akerson said on Monday that the company would expand its dealership network in China this year by about 600.
"We will expand our dealer network to 3,500 stores from the 2,900 that we ended up with in 2011," he told reporters.

GM Expanding Chinese Dealerships

Considering that GM closed dealerships in the country as part of their “restructuring,” why are they paying to build dealerships in China? Why not re-open dealerships in the United States and put Americans back to work? Also, how many of those 2900 Chinese dealerships have been created since they took taxpayer money?

Secondly:

GM to Build 2013 Cadillac XTS in China This Year

By Melissa Burden
April 23, 2012
The Detroit News

General Motors Co. announced Monday at the Beijing auto show that it will begin building its all-new 2013 Cadillac XTS sedan in China this year and later will build the ELR luxury electric coupe in the country.

The production announcements mark a significant step in GM's push for Cadillac to become a global brand.

"Introducing the XTS is part of our strategy of adding one new model per year to our Cadillac lineup in China through 2016 to address the needs of luxury car buyers nationwide," GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson said in a statement.

ELR technology details, production location and its Chinese introduction date will be announced at a later time, according to a news release. The XTS will be available in the fourth quarter in China and will be manufactured by Shanghai General Motors, a partnership between GM and SAIC Motor Corp.

The announcement follows a report earlier this month in The Detroit News that GM was expected to announce at the auto show that it would build XTS in China later this year. Joel Ewanick, GM's global chief marketing officer, also told The News that the all-new Cadillac ATS, a compact luxury sedan, and the popular midsize CTS sedan will eventually be built in China.

Ewanick said GM will build its brand in China and then Europe to grow the brand over the next decade.

Currently, only the Cadillac SLS, an extended length luxury sedan, is built in China. Cadillac imports the CTS, SRX crossover and Escalade from plants in the United States and Mexico.

GM began selling Cadillacs in China in 2004. Sales have grown from essentially zero at the end of 2007 and early 2008 to 30,000 last year. Its 2011 sales were up 72.8 percent from 2010.

Cadillac also expects to double its dealer network of about 50 in China in the next year or two, Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell previously has told The News.

That news story here:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/.../auto01/GM-build-2013-Cadillac-XTS-China-year

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing new here. Example; all Cadillac Escalade EXTs are made in Mexico. Many more parts, including motors, come from Mexico and Canada for vehicles assembled in the US. Dealing outside the country has been standard operation of GM for many many many years.

Are you upset that it's outside the country or because it's China?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not one, but two stories of GM expanding its China operations at the expense of the American taxpayer. Oh, and one of those stories really ought to "hose" the United Auto Workers.

Enjoy.

GM CEO Says to Add 600 China Dealers in 2012

BEIJING, Apr 23, 2012
Reuters

GM CEO Dan Akerson said on Monday that the company would expand its dealership network in China this year by about 600.
"We will expand our dealer network to 3,500 stores from the 2,900 that we ended up with in 2011," he told reporters.

GM Expanding Chinese Dealerships

Considering that GM closed dealerships in the country as part of their “restructuring,” why are they paying to build dealerships in China? Why not re-open dealerships in the United States and put Americans back to work?

Perhaps because there is insufficient product demand to justify the additional dealers in this country, but China represents a growing--and thus underserved--market?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is GM paying to put those dealers in place? Or are dealers paying to become franchisees? I honestly don't know how that works... if I could get Gm to pay me to become one of their dealers and set up my car lot, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I always assumed one had to have a ton of money already and had to "buy in".

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also those dealer and Cadillac manufacturing are prob for cars that will be sold there. If you build in USA and ship into Japan/China there are huge import fees and taxes. Build the vehicle insude that countries borders and they can escape some of the fees and taxes. Means more profit to the bottom line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom