Thanksgiving with friends and family

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's true as well, but what I'm trying to address is what the logic might have been behind the CDC's recommendation. They don't know your grandma.

they do know about cross contamination. That’s the issue they are prob trying to fix. Shared serving utensils, passing food, etc.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7ff836806a2c5f49.jpg

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all fairness, people who work in restaurants are trained in safe food handling, grandma may be good at that... or not.
that may be true for you if you work in one but mostly I see people from south of our borders working in our restaurants. I used to work int he industry as well and women wore hairnets, clean clothing-no street clothes etc. Not so much today, I've seen them scratching places where they shouldn't in public, talking on their cell phones (sanitized of course) while cooking. Somehow that doesn't seem right, things aren't like they used to be, we have more food poisoning these days I would think.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No thanksgiving for us this year.
Parents are gone, one son is wheelchair bound after an accident, sister is on full oxygen with respiratory issues from smoking, so they don’t need around crowds. Other son is in the Dallas area and isn’t traveling because of kids sports activities. Wife’s remaining family will be on a ski trip with her mother in lockdown in an assisted living area.
We have been putting on the big family gatherings at our home for almost 30 years and enjoy doing it, so this year will be “different”.
Still haven’t figured out what we will be doing that day but it will certainly will be something non-traditional for us.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More idiocracy. If you're high risk stay home, that's a concept the left can't fathom.
I think they understand that concept just fine. The problem with it is that it doesn't afford them the opportunity to control more pieces of everyone's lives. I think they get some sort of joy out of placing restrictions on people. It's like the Governor of NY - Andrew Cuomo - stating that in sporting clubs, doubles tennis is specifically banned, but singles tennis is OK. That was a specific ban from the Governors office, and not a ban placed by any particular sporting club. The governors office felt it worthwhile to specifically come up with individual rules like this for all sorts of activities. FYI - racquetball was not banned. Tell me how being in an enclosed space with someone when playing racquetball is perfectly fine, but being 15 feet away from someone on a tennis court, outside, is banned. You can't apply logic to these people, it just doesn't work. It's about control, not about common sense.

Back to the thread topic, my family will also be mostly separated for Thanksgiving this year. My brother's family lives outside of Huntsville, AL, and make the drive each year either for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I enjoy seeing him and the family, and always have a blast seeing my niece and two nephews. Seeing them grow and have more and more interesting conversations with them is something I greatly enjoy. The younger nephew has been playing a lot of chess, and I'm confident that he'll be able to beat me in the near future. He's only 12 by the way! We play online, and he always tells me to NEVER let him win, and to play him tough. What I haven't told him is that I'm not taking it easy on him at all, he's just one hell of a player. We had a 'death match' scheduled for Thanksgiving this year with the Star Wars chess set I bought him for Christmas last year - but that won't be happening now. My older nephew (16) has been shooting the 22 rifle I bought him. He wants to shoot an AR and a shotgun, because in his words, "those are the coolest guns I haven't shot yet". I had already planned a range trip with my brother and nephew so he could shoot some new guns. My niece is only 9, but will talk your ear off for hours on end on any matter of topics, which I enjoy. Those are the things I'll miss this year, the food is secondary.

The lack of deviled eggs will sting a little though.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think they understand that concept just fine. The problem with it is that it doesn't afford them the opportunity to control more pieces of everyone's lives. I think they get some sort of joy out of placing restrictions on people. It's like the Governor of NY - Andrew Cuomo - stating that in sporting clubs, doubles tennis is specifically banned, but singles tennis is OK. That was a specific ban from the Governors office, and not a ban placed by any particular sporting club. The governors office felt it worthwhile to specifically come up with individual rules like this for all sorts of activities. FYI - racquetball was not banned. Tell me how being in an enclosed space with someone when playing racquetball is perfectly fine, but being 15 feet away from someone on a tennis court, outside, is banned. You can't apply logic to these people, it just doesn't work. It's about control, not about common sense.

Back to the thread topic, my family will also be mostly separated for Thanksgiving this year. My brother's family lives outside of Huntsville, AL, and make the drive each year either for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I enjoy seeing him and the family, and always have a blast seeing my niece and two nephews. Seeing them grow and have more and more interesting conversations with them is something I greatly enjoy. The younger nephew has been playing a lot of chess, and I'm confident that he'll be able to beat me in the near future. He's only 12 by the way! We play online, and he always tells me to NEVER let him win, and to play him tough. What I haven't told him is that I'm not taking it easy on him at all, he's just one hell of a player. We had a 'death match' scheduled for Thanksgiving this year with the Star Wars chess set I bought him for Christmas last year - but that won't be happening now. My older nephew (16) has been shooting the 22 rifle I bought him. He wants to shoot an AR and a shotgun, because in his words, "those are the coolest guns I haven't shot yet". I had already planned a range trip with my brother and nephew so he could shoot some new guns. My niece is only 9, but will talk your ear off for hours on end on any matter of topics, which I enjoy. Those are the things I'll miss this year, the food is secondary.

The lack of deviled eggs will sting a little though.

That's what I'm saying, they can't fathom only the high risk staying home, they want everyone to. Our Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers will be small also, and have been for years. Not because of covid, because people were still dying long before covid, and there's just not many of us left lol.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since mid March I've been to several family events . . . one of which was a wedding in July.

If my immediate family members have been taking all of the appropriate precautions how in the world wouldn't that account for all of the risk folks are concerned about?

Latest posts

Top Bottom