The Appalachian Scout Rifle Concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im currently setting up my dream concept rifle. The Appalachian Scout Rifle. I’m converting two identical pre 64 1894s in 32 Winchester special into a scout configuration. Anyone else spend much time with this concept? To me, it really is the perfect setup for a do all rifle that is light and handy.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Im currently setting up my dream concept rifle. The Appalachian Scout Rifle. I’m converting two identical pre 64 1894s in 32 Winchester special into a scout configuration. Anyone else spend much time with this concept? To me, it really is the perfect setup for a do all rifle that is light and handy.
This thread is worthless without pictures!

Something like this?

1639844381604.png

Last edited:

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been working on a scout lever gun project for to long. It sits in the back of the safe collecting dust while I keep building ARs. Tax season I've told myself I'm finishing it. It's a 336Y 16 inch barrel with champion synthetic stock. Will be getting XS scout rail and irons and Leopold or vortex glass. Will also see about some ranger point precision upgrades.

IMG_20210223_212109.jpg

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been working on a scout lever gun project for to long. It sits in the back of the safe collecting dust while I keep building ARs. Tax season I've told myself I'm finishing it. It's a 336Y 16 inch barrel with champion synthetic stock. Will be getting XS scout rail and irons and Leopold or vortex glass. Will also see about some ranger point precision upgrades.

View attachment 240961
I like that idea.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this Remlin 1894 I just finished. It was supposed to be lighter than when I began, but the fore-end is less than an ounce lighter than the wooden, and I couldn’t find a lightweight butt stock. Yet.

6F6B711F-5935-41A0-A67D-7C2D10B7139D.jpeg47AD2A04-94DB-4E97-B365-DB8D87968A83.jpeg

XS sights scout rail with ghost sights
Ranger point precision medium loop lever
Ranger point precision trigger
Ranger point precision mag follower
Ranger point precision loading gate
Ranger point precision fore-end
Good ol cabelas buttstock pouch/cheek riser. Fixes my cheek weld issue and a spot to store a few extra rounds or other necessities in its life as a truck gun.
Full disassemble/clean/degrease with a little bit of polishing.

I couldnt find another wood stock to molest, so we’re keeping the original stock in its unaltered form on it now. I would like to keep this an iron sights only gun, but I’m really wanting a 2x leupold long eye relief scope on it, maybe with a quick disconnect mount. We’ll see.

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have this Remlin 1894 I just finished. It was supposed to be lighter than when I began, but the fore-end is less than an ounce lighter than the wooden, and I couldn’t find a lightweight butt stock. Yet.

View attachment 240982View attachment 240983

XS sights scout rail with ghost sights
Ranger point precision medium loop lever
Ranger point precision trigger
Ranger point precision mag follower
Ranger point precision loading gate
Ranger point precision fore-end
Good ol cabelas buttstock pouch/cheek riser. Fixes my cheek weld issue and a spot to store a few extra rounds or other necessities in its life as a truck gun.
Full disassemble/clean/degrease with a little bit of polishing.

I couldnt find another wood stock to molest, so we’re keeping the original stock in its unaltered form on it now. I would like to keep this an iron sights only gun, but I’m really wanting a 2x leupold long eye relief scope on it, maybe with a quick disconnect mount. We’ll see.
That’s a beauty

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in 308 and 223 are my ideas of good scout rifles.

In 308.

1.jpg

In 223 stainless.

www.ruger.com_products_gunsiteScoutRifle_images_6825.jpg
Oh Yes, I have the Gunsite Scout 308. It is my 'go to' hunting rifle. Have a can on it....use Beck subsonic...it whispers with a very hard it.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me the 2 pre 64 1894 32 specials you have are pretty light, handy and kinda scouty perfection as they made them.
I guess you could tinker a little, but I don't know how you would improve anything much for that kind of a rifle. In fact if memory serves me it was probably the Original ultimate Appalachian scout rifle for 120 years that made it so famous................ Sometimes they just got it right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom