The Appalachian Scout Rifle Concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me the 2 pre 64 1894 32 specials you have are pretty light, handy and kinda scouty perfection as they made them.
I guess you could tinker a little, but I don't know how you would improve anything much for that kind of a rifle. In fact if memory serves me it was probably the Original ultimate Appalachian scout rifle for 120 years that made it so famous................ Sometimes they just got it right.

Kinda what I was thinking and I don’t believed I’d be chopping up a couple of pre 64 Winchesters.

I’ve wanted a 92 in .32 WCF (32-20) for as long as I can remember.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a long XS rail on my 336 that extends out to where the rear sight is supposed to be, but I’m using a standard scope and not a scout. It’s a Schmidt Bender 6x.
I like straight grip rifles like the 1895 guide guns, so I found a 1895 floor plate and converted my 336. I also added a Wild West big loop and WWG trigger.
It’s the most accurate 30-30 I’ve ever had and will shoot a legitimate one hole group at 100 yards with Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.
I’ve killed a bunch of pigs with it, but I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer. My youngest son and daughter have though.
D713E66A-BA24-463A-A5AB-5E97EA95EEB7.jpeg

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me the 2 pre 64 1894 32 specials you have are pretty light, handy and kinda scouty perfection as they made them.
I guess you could tinker a little, but I don't know how you would improve anything much for that kind of a rifle. In fact if memory serves me it was probably the Original ultimate Appalachian scout rifle for 120 years that made it so famous................ Sometimes they just got it right.
I feel the same way. Only thing I’m doing really is putting aperture sights on em. Doves custom guns makes a custom scout mount, but I’m tempted to leave as aperture sight only.

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a long XS rail on my 336 that extends out to where the rear sight is supposed to be, but I’m using a standard scope and not a scout. It’s a Schmidt Bender 6x.
I like straight grip rifles like the 1895 guide guns, so I found a 1895 floor plate and converted my 336. I also added a Wild West big loop and WWG trigger.
It’s the most accurate 30-30 I’ve ever had and will shoot a legitimate one hole group at 100 yards with Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.
I’ve killed a bunch of pigs with it, but I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer. My youngest son and daughter have though.
View attachment 241006
That right their is a dream rifle. Stainless 336 with a straight stock.

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking and I don’t believed I’d be chopping up a couple of pre 64 Winchesters.

I’ve wanted a 92 in .32 WCF (32-20) for as long as I can remember.
One of them is a family heirloom so to speak. It was slicked up in the 70’s by my grandfather. My family has always been shooters, and not collectors.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel the same way. Only thing I’m doing really is putting aperture sights on em. Doves custom guns makes a custom scout mount, but I’m tempted to leave as aperture sight only.
I am not familiar with Dove's sights but just be aware that if they require hole drilling, especially side type mounts your going to can about 200 dollars in collector value of the heirlooms you have. Of course it is yours and if you never want to sell it you can proceed however you wish.

I just heard you talking about making a Scout rifle out of a pre64 .32 special and images of you chop sawing 4" off the barrel and mag to make the 16" Scout model made me cringe and grit my teeth a little is all.

My own rifle only weighs about 5pds fully loaded and is a joy to carry. If I ever see the day that gets to heavy for me I would just stick 3 shells in it or something. If I want something that needs a scoped rifles range I grab a different gun or would look around for at 336 Marlin which are made for it.
Just some things to consider.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That right their is a dream rifle. Stainless 336 with a straight stock.
I put two of these together probably 15 years ago. I found out that the floor plate off an 1895 guide gun would fit on a 336, and I was able to find two guys that wanted pistol grip guide guns and traded with them. The floor plates/stock fit perfectly.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I put two of these together probably 15 years ago. I found out that the floor plate off an 1895 guide gun would fit on a 336, and I was able to find two guys that wanted pistol grip guide guns and traded with them. The floor plates/stock fit perfectly.
I would really like to find some nice walnut stocks to convert my Marlin Glenfield to the 'Texan' style straight stock setup.

I would need the fore stock that uses the cap and not the band for my rifle.

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Dove's sights but just be aware that if they require hole drilling, especially side type mounts your going to can about 200 dollars in collector value of the heirlooms you have. Of course it is yours and if you never want to sell it you can proceed however you wish.

I just heard you talking about making a Scout rifle out of a pre64 .32 special and images of you chop sawing 4" off the barrel and mag to make the 16" Scout model made me cringe and grit my teeth a little is all.

My own rifle only weighs about 5pds fully loaded and is a joy to carry. If I ever see the day that gets to heavy for me I would just stick 3 shells in it or something. If I want something that needs a scoped rifles range I grab a different gun or would look around for at 336 Marlin which are made for it.
Just some things to consider.
As I said earlier, I don’t own guns because of their cost or perceived stored value. Wouldn’t really make much since to cut 4” off of the barrel. 18” is as short as I would go anyways. Not sure if your familiar with the 1894s, but they are plenty handy in their 20” configuration.
Doves is one of the main gunsmiths that does scout builds. Not sure if you’re familiar with Richard Mann’s book on scout rifles; but this is his gunsmith.

Latest posts

Top Bottom