1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Aussies just learned that confiscation and buybacks don't work.

Discussion in 'News Links' started by NightShade, May 11, 2018.

1. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/7-dead...ng-22-years-margaret-river-western-australia/

2. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'd like to think that people can learn from their mistakes and I believe that most can, but one exception is the ideologue. An ideologue is a person who is a fervent believer in a set of--to them--truths. Please note that I at least, don't include religious beliefs, even though I suppose that in a strict sense, they could be. Tom Clancy gave a very good example of ideology in action in his very excellent novel, Red Storm Rising. For years, the Soviets had to import vast quantities of grain from the US, Canada, and Australia.due to poor harvests. On their collective farms, which were the main domestic source of grain, each worker had a small plot on which he could grow whatever he wished. These small private plots made up less than 2% of the arable land in the USSR, yet they accounted for over half the fresh vegetables poultry and dairy output. The Party bosses knew this, and also that their food shortages could be ended almost overnight by increasing the size of the small plots, yet they refused to do this. Why? Because it was not consistent with Communist ideology.

In the same way, if there is an owner of a convenience store who is a True Gun-Control Believer and has a 'no guns' sign up, in the midst of a dozen other stores with no such signs, and he is the only one who gets robbed, he will invent all sorts of reasons for this, but he will not accept the sign as one of them. It will always be something else. An illustration of this mindset was just after Kwik-Shop took their signs down, I stopped in one day soon after to get an iced tea. I said to the clerk that I was glad to see the sign down. Her response was "Well I'm not. Now anyone with a gun can just walk in and shoot me." It was busy so I didn't respond. I just left.

There are other examples as well.

My basic point is this: these people rarely change their belief system. It does happen, (Paxton Quigley is a prime example) but it is rare.

3. chuter

chuter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Signs do have magical powers you know. I don't see why you gun nuts won't accept that.

4. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    [​IMG]

RKM likes this.