The cost of clothes, sheesh!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a work trip coming in a few weeks. It's a week of nothing but business meetings and travel. Sounds nice until you do it, and I'd rather walk over hot coals at this point, but I have to keep the lights on somehow or another. It's a trip I make annually, however it seems the past few years I've been the oddball out by not wearing a fancy schmancy suit jacket. A pair of slacks and a polo shirt are about as formal as I like to get normally, but when you're the only one in the room of a dozen people in suits, I look like a hobo in comparison. Well I figured it'd be good to have a suit jacket, blazer, sport coat, or whatever the hell you call it. The only suit I own I bought about 15 years ago, and it's a bit of a struggle to get that button closed on the jacket! I've sat down to few good meals in those 15 years. I've been looking for a decent deal on a suit jacket, but I am a bigger guy so normal human clothes don't fit me quite right. About a month ago I looked at the cost of a new Ford F-150 crew cab and about fell over. Well these suit jacket prices for something in my size are making me do the same thing. I've yet to find one that wouldn't need an adjustment or two, so tack that onto the cost of the initial purchase and I'm in for a at least a few hundred bucks if apparently if I want anything of decent quality. And that's just for one. I have 5 days and a total of 11 meetings that week. I darn sure am not buying 5 jackets. One, maaaaaybe two if I can find a great bargain.

Prices nowadays........

Rant over. Back under my rock.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Men’s warehouse is about all I can find out near OKC. I’d get a blue and either brown or charcoal grey jacket a few pair of slacks and lots of white shirts. Add a few ties and you’re good to go. I wore a suit or at least a slacks and a tie for 30 years so I know where you’re coming from, was just part of doing business. Now a days it’s just Wranglers, a nice shirt and Cowboy boots. 😉

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kohl’s is what you seek
Doubtful, given his description of his size. Their selection doesn't go up into the larger sizes. Men's Wearhouse is a reasonable first stop. Consider a dark blazer with a couple of pair of contrasting dress slacks (not khakis) plus a sport coat with some additional slacks that coordinate. Punch it up with color in the shirt/tie area...and have you checked out your shoes lately???

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you find just make sure you douse it in cheap cologne and leave it in hot car for a week and you'll fit right in.🤭I can always tell when one of our "suits" are using the blue collar bathrooms here at work by the lingering stale cologne in the air.
But if you must venture over to the dark side I'd second the motion of checking out kohl's...😉

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never cared what other people thought of me by the way i dressed, I will dress for me and that is for comfort and dont spend alot of money on clothes either so i always stand out as a odd ball but dont care clothes dont make the man you are.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doubtful, given his description of his size. Their selection doesn't go up into the larger sizes. Men's Wearhouse is a reasonable first stop. Consider a dark blazer with a couple of pair of contrasting dress slacks (not khakis) plus a sport coat with some additional slacks that coordinate. Punch it up with color in the shirt/tie area...and have you checked out your shoes lately???
Shoes are covered.

Men’s Wearhouse has nearly nothing in stock around my size. Hardly anything above a size 50 jacket. I’ve gone in there twice now and couldn’t get anyone to give me the time of day. Maybe if I go in and just immediately show them a wad of cash it would change their attitude. Also had the same issue at a mens store off of north May. I can find some online, but I just really hate to buy something like clothes, especially something reasonably expensive, without trying it on first. I’ll probably just end up going that route though.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoes are covered.

Men’s Wearhouse has nearly nothing in stock around my size. Hardly anything above a size 50 jacket. I’ve gone in there twice now and couldn’t get anyone to give me the time of day. Maybe if I go in and just immediately show them a wad of cash it would change their attitude. Also had the same issue at a mens store off of north May. I can find some online, but I just really hate to buy something like clothes, especially something reasonably expensive, without trying it on first. I’ll probably just end up going that route though.
If you need ties, I've got quite a few and should be long enough. You're close so if want to look I'll just toss in the pickup and meet up. Haven't worn any in years other than for a funeral. No sports coats over 46 Long or I'd loan you a couple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom