The cost of clothes, sheesh!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried Dillard's? They have a big/tall section.
I have. Didn't find anything even remotely that fit right. I did find a jacket at DXL today. It was kind of nice going there. I'm one of the smaller sizes in that store, which is not something I am accustomed to! I found a brand, Michael Kors, that seems to fit pretty well. They had one on sale and I got it for a good price. Now that I have a brand & size, I'll keep my eye's out for a few others down the road.

I think it was karma that I finally found one that fit me well. While I had new clothes on my mind (which admittedly is rare), on Monday night I gathered up 15 years worth of clothes that I no longer wear that were all in very usable shape. There had to be 50 shirts, a few coats, a few pairs of boots, blue jeans and work pants, etc. All from my younger and less round days that have just been sitting in a guest bedroom closet and boxed up in the attic for years. All of them got washed and bagged up over Monday and Tuesday night. They filled up about 1/2 of the back of my SUV, and all got donated to the Tri-City Hope Center. Wouldn't you know it, the next day I found a good jacket at a good price.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a work trip coming in a few weeks. It's a week of nothing but business meetings and travel. Sounds nice until you do it, and I'd rather walk over hot coals at this point, but I have to keep the lights on somehow or another. It's a trip I make annually, however it seems the past few years I've been the oddball out by not wearing a fancy schmancy suit jacket. A pair of slacks and a polo shirt are about as formal as I like to get normally, but when you're the only one in the room of a dozen people in suits, I look like a hobo in comparison. Well I figured it'd be good to have a suit jacket, blazer, sport coat, or whatever the hell you call it. The only suit I own I bought about 15 years ago, and it's a bit of a struggle to get that button closed on the jacket! I've sat down to few good meals in those 15 years. I've been looking for a decent deal on a suit jacket, but I am a bigger guy so normal human clothes don't fit me quite right. About a month ago I looked at the cost of a new Ford F-150 crew cab and about fell over. Well these suit jacket prices for something in my size are making me do the same thing. I've yet to find one that wouldn't need an adjustment or two, so tack that onto the cost of the initial purchase and I'm in for a at least a few hundred bucks if apparently if I want anything of decent quality. And that's just for one. I have 5 days and a total of 11 meetings that week. I darn sure am not buying 5 jackets. One, maaaaaybe two if I can find a great bargain.

Prices nowadays........

Rant over. Back under my rock.

I’m a 56 extra long. I bought two sports coats at mens warehouse. Just get two sports coats and call it good. I bought a blue one and a brown one. I spent years traveling and only took a carry on for a week at a time.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try DXL on north may just south of the nw expressway.........been buying stuff there for several years good quality but a shade expensive great selection

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My absolute favorite for quality dress clothes is Van Huessen Factory Outlet on W I-40. Bought 5 shirts @ $11 each. Regular price was $54.

Was once told (when I had to dress for office work), get a black, blue, tan, brown and Grey suit. Then 5 dress shirts and 5 ties. You now have 75 combos.
Add a shirt and tie every month.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a 56 extra long. I bought two sports coats at mens warehouse. Just get two sports coats and call it good. I bought a blue one and a brown one. I spent years traveling and only took a carry on for a week at a time.
Yep, I used to do the same since I usually saw different people every day. Shirts ties and one suit for the week.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My absolute favorite for quality dress clothes is Van Huessen Factory Outlet on W I-40. Bought 5 shirts @ $11 each. Regular price was $54.
The only problem with the Van Heusen outlets is they think 2XL is big and tall. The last Van Heusen shirt I bought fit until the first time I washed it, then it looked like a button-up crop-top.

kandeyu

New to the site!
Reaction score
I've got a work trip coming in a few weeks. It's a week of nothing but business meetings and travel. Sounds nice until you do it, and I'd rather walk over hot coals at this point, but I have to keep the lights on somehow or another. It's a trip I make annually, however it seems the past few years I've been the oddball out by not wearing a fancy schmancy suit jacket. A pair of slacks and a polo shirt are about as formal as I like to get normally, but when you're the only one in the room of a dozen people in suits, I look like a hobo in comparison. Well I figured it'd be good to have a suit jacket, blazer, sport coat, or whatever the hell you call it. The only suit I own I bought about 15 years ago, and it's a bit of a struggle to get that button closed on the jacket! I've sat down to few good meals in those 15 years. I've been looking for a decent deal on a suit jacket, but I am a bigger guy so normal human clothes don't fit me quite right. About a month ago I looked at the cost of a new Ford F-150 crew cab and about fell over. Well these suit jacket prices for something in my size are making me do the same thing. I've yet to find one that wouldn't need an adjustment or two, so tack that onto the cost of the initial purchase and I'm in for a at least a few hundred bucks if apparently if I want anything of decent quality. And that's just for one. I have 5 days and a total of 11 meetings that week. I darn sure am not buying 5 jackets. One, maaaaaybe two if I can find a great bargain.

Prices nowadays........

Rant over. Back under my rock.
You can buy suits online for a good price; it's not necessary to go shopping in malls with high prices because of the rent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom