the cost of wind power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may sound absurd to some of y'all, but the best way forward would be to build our houses underground. Natural insulation! Solatubes could provide most of the light during the day. Could have a small bank of solar collectors and an individual windmill for each residence.
Underground houses were trendy back in the 1980s. Also in the 1880s. My grandparents lived in one back in the '30s; of course, they called it a dugout, not an underground house.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may sound absurd to some of y'all, but the best way forward would be to build our houses underground. Natural insulation! Solatubes could provide most of the light during the day. Could have a small bank of solar collectors and an individual windmill for each residence.

:anyone:

I've wondered why in-ground homes weren't more popular here in the tornado alley. I remember them being a thing years ago, but at a price of the occasional musty smell. You'd think with today's technologies, in-ground would be attainable. There's only 2 of those houses I know of, and both are here in SWOK. One between Lawton and Duncan on Hwy 7, the other South of 62 between Hollis and Gould.

I know the water table is pretty high across most of the low-lying state, maybe that's something that keeps people from opting for it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wondered why in-ground homes weren't more popular here in the tornado alley. I remember them being a thing years ago, but at a price of the occasional musty smell. You'd think with today's technologies, in-ground would be attainable. There's only 2 of those houses I know of, and both are here in SWOK. One between Lawton and Duncan on Hwy 7, the other South of 62 between Hollis and Gould.

I know the water table is pretty high across most of the low-lying state, maybe that's something that keeps people from opting for it.
I know of one outside of Okarche. My friend owns it. It's really nice inside and from the architecture I'd say 70's.
I just remembered one west of there too. It was flooded during the hurricane Erin in 2007.

upload_2021-2-21_11-29-43.jpeg

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There used to be quite a few residential wind generators around here. When they crapped out they came down and were replaced with commercial power.
It seems like they are prone to brake failure and self destruction.
But that’s been a minute ago.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My folks looked at one in east Norman back the early ‘80s. The high water table is part of it, but I’m sure the predominant soil types in Oklahoma have a lot to do with it, too. It’s the same reason you don’t see a lot of basements around here; there’s so much expansion and contraction in the soil that it’s frequently a matter of when, not if, it cracks and starts leaking.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My folks looked at one in east Norman back the early ‘80s. The high water table is part of it, but I’m sure the predominant soil types in Oklahoma have a lot to do with it, too. It’s the same reason you don’t see a lot of basements around here; there’s so much expansion and contraction in the soil that it’s frequently a matter of when, not if, it cracks and starts leaking.
Clay shrink and swell, same thing causes damage to roadways in hot summer and wet spring. Basements can be constructed if one excavates all the surrounding soil and backfills with sand but the cost is such that most dont want to fool with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom