The Criminal Paradigm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6. ??? What goes here? This is where I am.
7. ??? What goes here?

I will leave smarter minds on the subject to answer that one.

However, I did want to comment on the part about "being in shape". The priority on that would determine where you are now on the scale of "in shape" I think. I have a friend who has been training a long time. He recently stopped all his MMA/boxing/jiu-jitsu training for several months to focus soley on getting in shape. He felt that his mastery of technique was being hampered by his size, and making those things his focus and conditioning etc. second he was not progressing as fast as he should. As he's dropped weight (and I feel the same way too after losing ~55lbs this last year) the way you can handle your own body, much less someone else attacking you is GREATLY increased.

A lot of a fight depends on agression and attack. I'm not speaking of mindset, but of the physicality of being agressive and attacking...it really doesn't matter what your mindset is if all you can think about is trying to get oxygen. That comes into play just as much during a short explosive burst of FOF as it does in an MMA fight, boxing match or whatever... you will be surprised how taxing a FOF scenario lasting even just 1 minute can be.

Now, for some (me included) it is hard to simply go grind out a treadmill session, or stationary bike session (that's not the best way to get in shape that will help you for a fight anyway) so the beauty is that an MMA class (or jiu-jitsu... or any other martial art that requires training against a resistant opponent) can provide a great method to getting in shape (up to a point). The warm-up at my current school borders on a workout for me because I need to be in better shape... so you can kind of kill two birds with one stone as far as that goes in my opinion. Plus, I figure if I am going to be active ANYWAY, then it might as well be by doing something that will benefit me. Plus you might find you really like doing it :D

Rob

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...it really doesn't matter what your mindset is if all you can think about is trying to get oxygen. That comes into play just as much during a short explosive burst of FOF as it does in an MMA fight, boxing match or whatever... you will be surprised how taxing a FOF scenario lasting even just 1 minute can be.

+1. For some it takes a "lightbulb" moment to realize how much energy/exertion/willpower it takes to push through. Nearly a decade ago I had such a lightbulb moment during some military training.

We had a very short obstacle course involving full kit, a 50 yard high crawl, stretcher assembly, 50 yard stretcher carry with live victim and barrier cross, and a 50 yard low crawl to the finish.

We all thought we were in pretty good shape until the end when we were all smoked and gasping for air...then our instructor said "That is how much energy you will have to expend to maybe survive a single firefight".

Nothing changes your mindset like actually testing it....

Jhamilton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will leave smarter minds on the subject to answer that one.

However, I did want to comment on the part about "being in shape". The priority on that would determine where you are now on the scale of "in shape" I think. I have a friend who has been training a long time. He recently stopped all his MMA/boxing/jiu-jitsu training for several months to focus soley on getting in shape. He felt that his mastery of technique was being hampered by his size, and making those things his focus and conditioning etc. second he was not progressing as fast as he should. As he's dropped weight (and I feel the same way too after losing ~55lbs this last year) the way you can handle your own body, much less someone else attacking you is GREATLY increased.

A lot of a fight depends on agression and attack. I'm not speaking of mindset, but of the physicality of being agressive and attacking...it really doesn't matter what your mindset is if all you can think about is trying to get oxygen. That comes into play just as much during a short explosive burst of FOF as it does in an MMA fight, boxing match or whatever... you will be surprised how taxing a FOF scenario lasting even just 1 minute can be.

Now, for some (me included) it is hard to simply go grind out a treadmill session, or stationary bike session (that's not the best way to get in shape that will help you for a fight anyway) so the beauty is that an MMA class (or jiu-jitsu... or any other martial art that requires training against a resistant opponent) can provide a great method to getting in shape (up to a point). The warm-up at my current school borders on a workout for me because I need to be in better shape... so you can kind of kill two birds with one stone as far as that goes in my opinion. Plus, I figure if I am going to be active ANYWAY, then it might as well be by doing something that will benefit me. Plus you might find you really like doing it :D

Rob

I normally don't post here but I just had to add something to what Robbo was saying.
As he said, I've stopped my fight training for a period of time in order to focus more on my physical fitness & conditioning.
Last year I was reading some stuff on Karl Gotch, who wrote something like, "Conditioning is the best weapon."
When I was training I noticed that I wasen't progressing at all and no matter how much I understood about the "Why" the issue was always the "How."
I had done what I know now was just wrong.
My "Fitness" had taken a back seat to my "Fighting" I was whipping the wrong horse....so to speak.
If you want to go back to the Movie refrence..Simon Phoenix was a highly aggresive, Intelligent, Fit, Psychopath..and armed. He was dangerous before the "training" and would be dangerous no matter what time he lived in.
He killed police officers in his time too..not just the new age "soft" ones.
The fight "training" only honed an already sharp knife.
I guess the only thing I can add is just my opinion. (which is worth what it costs)
Training for a fight (Street or Ring) is a noble thing, but more then that you should be training for "Life."
You'll spend more hours of your life out of a fight then in one.
Train for a healthy body, keep a sharp mind, & a sound soul. And as Marc Denny puts it, "Walk as a warrior, for all of your days."
I believe that God puts people here to stand against all the horrible things that are out there. Those who will dispatch with fire & force if they have to.
They just have to stay away from the drive thrus and "Baconators" :puke:

BTW...As of today I have dropped from 346lbs to 261. I grappled recently and the whole moving myself thing was WAY easier. Now I have to develop a ground game..I can't just count on my weight. (as much)
When I hear someone say "do the work" ALL I can think is, "go to the gym first." Thats where all fights are really won.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It basically says that only the police are responsible enough with guns to possess them and that is simply ludicrous.

Well, I've been lurking for a while around here but finally decided to register. I really do appreciate it when law enforcement officers recognize that citizens, when trained in safe use of firearms, can be responsible with guns.

Let's face it, criminals don't mind shooting you (LEO) or me (citizen), so there's a common enemy for the both of us.

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a police officer, I live for the days when I can be the one to stand between you and violent crime. Its why I took this job.

As a realist, I can tell you that I won't be there and the only one who will be there for you is YOU. You are the only one responsible for your own safety.

Michael Brown

Amen, preach it, brother! Absolutely right. The police are pretty good at figuring out who committed a violent crime against you. They are pretty good at catching the criminal after the fact. The courts are extremely good at placing the criminal in an institution populated by other criminals where he can bulk up and learn more effective criminal techniques, then releasing him back into public. But the police simply aren't able to prevent said criminal from attacking you. Only you can do that. Therein lies (part of) the wisdom of the Second Amendment.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Train like your life depends on it....because it does.

Weather your platform is hand to hand....

Using a gun....

Using a knife...

Train like your life depends on it...because it does...

Your body is your first weapon and you should train and condition it as well...If your too out of shape to get to your gun in that fancy holster around your waist because your belly is too big or get to that gun on your ankle because you can't bend over and reach it then you have nothing more than an expensive paper weight...

learn to move and shoot....learn to fight hand to hand and draw and shoot from the ground...learn to draw off hand and shoot....learn how to transition from hand to hand to gun and then back to hand to hand....do it over and over and over and over again until it is second nature....shoot long range...shoot close up...shoot engaging multiple targets while moving....Learn OODA and how to make it work for you.

And most import Develop a Warriors Mindset...your brain is the muscle that controls everything else. You don't want to just survive a lethal encounter you want to win

M

MOPAR 4x4

I totally agree with your points on being prepared. I have seen so many people go thru the cc classes and get their permits and then just take it for granted they can protect themselves or family.I feel the same as you have stated that awerness and practice with your firearm and doing different scenerios that may arise will benifit you tremendisly. I think it ought to be a mandetory process for those who carry.

M

MOPAR 4x4

Very well put I also remember the days while growing up and going to school every boy carried a pocket nkife on them and we had a shotgun and 30-30 in the back rack of our pickup where did the time go!!!????

Latest posts

Top Bottom