The Dark Tower movie... anyone seen it yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've really liked the books and will go see it haven't been to a movie in years. We had planned for last night but will probably wait until next Friday

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw out one Stephen King novel that has been made into two separate - and both decent IMHO, TV movies - Salem's Lot. SL also represents some Mr KIng's better early, classic horror writing.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THIS is why ... instead of dropping $20 at the door for tickets, and another $20 at the concession stand for the old man's nasty-ass popcorn and a pop, to go sit in nasty-ass chairs that people and kids have done God knows what in (yeah, that germaphobe thing rears its head again) to be bugged by people who didn't plan ahead and pee before the movie started, or who want to carry on a conversation (go to a damned restaurant!!), I just wait for it to show up on the PPV movies on cable, throw a bag of popcorn on the microwave for the old man, put my feet up with a beer and enjoy the mediocre movie I would have been pissed off about if we'd dropped $40-50 on "date night" ... BONUS POINTS for getting to not have to get dressed and put make-up on ... haha!

I'm really not too much of a people person anyway. Saves me a TON of money ... lol
You and I are so much alike. I did break down and go see Lonesome Survivor and American Sniper. It takes that caliber of movie to get me to go to a theatre.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We go to the movies quite a bit. It's good with the kid to spend some family time and see a lot of the superhero movies and the Pixar-style kid/adult comedies, etc. We do a lot of stay at home family movie nights, too.

The Dark Tower was ok. Not bad. Not a blockbuster by any means and though there were some pearls from the book, the things that were real ongoing buildups in the books were just passing mentions in the movie. Of course... how can you make 7 books into one movie? You can't, without rewriting the whole thing, which is what they did.

For people expecting the epic Dark Tower series, people who anxiously awaited the new books to come out, you will be disappointed, most likely. It wasn't cheesy and terrible like so many of King's screen adaptations have been, but it wasn't epic, either.

Overall, an enjoyable movie to watch... with it being only 90 minutes I kinda expected it wasn't going to rival LotR. lol

<edit> Then again, even making a book adaptation into a trilogy doesn't guarantee anything, as evidenced by Atlas Shrugged. <sigh>

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw out one Stephen King novel that has been made into two separate - and both decent IMHO, TV movies - Salem's Lot. SL also represents some Mr KIng's better early, classic horror writing.
Good point, I never read Salem's Lot, but saw the movie when I was 8. That floating vampire kid at the window, creeped me out LOL

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife wants to go see Dark Tower instead of wait for Redbox. She had me glance at the trailer on TV and I didn't catch it all but heard something about Guns and liking Earth. Thought I saw a revolver and wondered if he got it here or if that's the best his planet could develop also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife wants to go see Dark Tower instead of wait for Redbox. She had me glance at the trailer on TV and I didn't catch it all but heard something about Guns and liking Earth. Thought I saw a revolver and wondered if he got it here or if that's the best his planet could develop also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunslingers are old-school purists. No semi-autos for them. The movie mentions the origin of his revolvers, which is supposed to be legendary. Besides, with the special effects-enhanced revolver speed-loading, there's no need for semi-auto extra capacity.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunslingers are old-school purists. No semi-autos for them. The movie mentions the origin of his revolvers, which is supposed to be legendary. Besides, with the special effects-enhanced revolver speed-loading, there's no need for semi-auto extra capacity.

As unrealistic as they are, those reloading scenes in the trailer are kinda sexy. :blush:

Latest posts

Top Bottom