1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Dark Tower movie... anyone seen it yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tRidiot, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:24 PM.

1. GUN DOG

GUN DOG Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I've really liked the books and will go see it haven't been to a movie in years. We had planned for last night but will probably wait until next Friday

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

caojyn likes this.
  2. mugsy

mugsy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'll throw out one Stephen King novel that has been made into two separate - and both decent IMHO, TV movies - Salem's Lot. SL also represents some Mr KIng's better early, classic horror writing.

rc508abn likes this.
  3. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You and I are so much alike. I did break down and go see Lonesome Survivor and American Sniper. It takes that caliber of movie to get me to go to a theatre.

Annie likes this.
  4. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We go to the movies quite a bit. It's good with the kid to spend some family time and see a lot of the superhero movies and the Pixar-style kid/adult comedies, etc. We do a lot of stay at home family movie nights, too.

The Dark Tower was ok. Not bad. Not a blockbuster by any means and though there were some pearls from the book, the things that were real ongoing buildups in the books were just passing mentions in the movie. Of course... how can you make 7 books into one movie? You can't, without rewriting the whole thing, which is what they did.

For people expecting the epic Dark Tower series, people who anxiously awaited the new books to come out, you will be disappointed, most likely. It wasn't cheesy and terrible like so many of King's screen adaptations have been, but it wasn't epic, either.

Overall, an enjoyable movie to watch... with it being only 90 minutes I kinda expected it wasn't going to rival LotR. lol

<edit> Then again, even making a book adaptation into a trilogy doesn't guarantee anything, as evidenced by Atlas Shrugged. <sigh>

caojyn and Annie like this.
  5. rc508abn

rc508abn Sharpshooter

Good point, I never read Salem's Lot, but saw the movie when I was 8. That floating vampire kid at the window, creeped me out LOL

6. FreeSpiritBalloon

FreeSpiritBalloon Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My wife wants to go see Dark Tower instead of wait for Redbox. She had me glance at the trailer on TV and I didn't catch it all but heard something about Guns and liking Earth. Thought I saw a revolver and wondered if he got it here or if that's the best his planet could develop also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Gunslingers are old-school purists. No semi-autos for them. The movie mentions the origin of his revolvers, which is supposed to be legendary. Besides, with the special effects-enhanced revolver speed-loading, there's no need for semi-auto extra capacity.

Annie likes this.
  8. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

As unrealistic as they are, those reloading scenes in the trailer are kinda sexy. :blush:

9. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Yes, you do.