The effect of long term unemployment and free stimulus money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't the stimulus unemployment $600/week. Which works out to about what per hour on a 40 hour week?

That wasn't a coincidence. They want(ed) people to get used to living on that amount, so that they would have more support and votes to push through their planned minimum wage increases.

It WILL bankrupt a number of businesses, thus forcing more onto unemployment, keeping new businesses from being viable, requiring more taxation to support those on the unemployment rolls, and eventually leading to a Basic Stipend type of situation - it's a self-fulfilling philosophy.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good on you for hiring an "older person".

I'll be 60 next week and I'm finding it impossible to find something that pays a living wage that will consider hiring an old guy that can't be on his feet all day.
I'm in the same boat. I'm 68 and I can't stand for more than an hour (as anyone in the third group at the 17 Design tour can attest to.) I should be retired but I had to cash out what 401ks I had when I left my job at DirecTV to care for my wife. If I can find a work from home job it'd be ideal but a call center job where I can sit would be good. They don't even have to provide medical!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the point, you can't just raise wages without consequences, and you can't just raise rates without consequences. In some fields, you can't raise rates at ALL, and you're already squeezed and contract-bound to the point you can barely make it already.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
if you have a business that actually relies on customers, you ain't gonna make it.

since my adult life, i've seen just about every major corporation "fail" and get bailed out. they are still around, and somehow they are still strong arming the little guy.

somehow.....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not the same but on a related note, I saw a sign at a MacDonalds today that read, "Paid daily."

Are there actually people that would demand a daily payday?

It’s worse than that.
South Florida McDonald’s are offering $50 to just come in for an interview.

South Florida McDonald's offers $50 just for people to come in for an interview

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/florida-mcdonalds-50-dollars-interview

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sad thing is, there are millions of us that wish we could work. I keep looking for a work from home job I can do, but most places that offer them are scams, and the skills I have do not translate well into a work from home job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom