The effect of long term unemployment and free stimulus money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back to the OP, visiting Arkansas today found a seafood shop of all places in Heber Springs.
They have everything. Alligator to Grouper,red snapper, walleye, tuna, gumbo, Cajun stuff by the bazillions. We left there poor.
The lady running it says they can’t get help. They have to shut down now three days a week so they can catch up.
BBQ place in downtown Heber Springs is on a 4 day work week as well for the same reason.
Everyone is scraping by on unemployment and stimulus payments. No need to work!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is just an added escalation to a problem that already existed.

I've been hiring people for many years - the last few I've seen candidates just pass on manufacturing jobs because A. jobs are "temp to hire"- wages are not competitive, B. there is an expectation for new hires to work ridiculous hours without any real hope of transitioning to something better.

Companies have adopted the "labor as a commodity" thought, and have little or no engagement with employees as far as development, respect, loyalty, longterm plans....why the hell would a young person stay hooked up at a job that views them as disposable?

I know wait staff at some old Tulsa restaurants that have retired from service. Worked waiting on customers for 40 years - think about that. They were treated by their employers as valuable members of a team that ensured a successful business.

Maybe it's not just potential employees that need to change?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember who it was on one of the talking heads shows a few months ago when the $15/hr was proposed, but when asked about small businesses being able to pay $15, he basically said they didn't want those businesses that couldn't pay $15/hr to their workers. So, one of those moments of honesty that pops out by accident. Wasn't the stimulus unemployment $600/week. Which works out to about what per hour on a 40 hour week?

Latest posts

Top Bottom