The end of the AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it the end of the AK-47 in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 61 87.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah and i mean i don't want to sound like a shill but i feel a lot of people hate on them out of brand loyalty or whatever.

at the end of the day, they are sourcing and buying from the same manufacturers everyone else is. what they aren't making themselves they are buying from the same pool everyone else does.

you will find the *exact* same parts in a PSA ar that you will in a colt, at least some of them. a lot of the small lower parts are made by the same people like L. W. Schneider. i know for a fact the hammer that came in a le6920 is the *exact* same one in the EPT kit from PSA.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My two cents are the AK’s days are not over. Other countries that are not Russia can still import cheap 7.62 x 39. Demand will make it happen.

I think the cheep ammo was a point of making the AK attractive to people. I know it was for me when I was younger. I remember buying $200 AKs. I also remember under the Clinton years of that BS assault weapons ban of 1994-2004 The ammo being over $300 - K. Before the band it was less than $100. Then after the band it drop to about 150-200. So we’re kind of in the same area right now. Before the stupid magazine ban where you could get cheap mags for like three or four bucks were now bringing 20 to 30 bucks and more.

Main thing that sucks right now is the price of the platform. The cheap days are gone at the moment. But who knows what the future holds.

Personally I love the AK 74 chambered in 556. The best of both worlds. I kind of saw this thing coming. Having seen what despicable POS Democrats do I knew their game plan for the future. Just didn’t know when it was gonna happen. Bajing Biden fulfilled The prophecy and did just like dingleberry Obamanation with the ban of Russian ammunition. Obama banned Russian guns and surplus 7n6 ammo, Beijing Biden banned all the ammo. 762 x 39 has always been the weak point of the AK. Not in performance but in cheap affordable future accessibility.

The weak link for the 556 AK is good magazines. Looks like all the east German Wieger magazines dried up. They were all metal and really good. As far as I know the Bulgarian ones are extremely expensive and I don’t recall if they’re are metal reinforced. I’m not a real fan of the adapters that use AR magazines in them. From a logistics point it makes sense. Form a cosmetic point it looks ugly as bat shite. I don’t like AR parts on an AK.

After the surplus 545x39 tap had been shut off by Obama it was just a matter of time before the rest of it was. 556 is the most logical caliber to have an AK chambered in. That’s ammo is gonna be continued to be pumped out here in the US.

The AK is a reliable and dependable platform. Just like the old Timex watches, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It’s fairly accurate with its use of open style sites. They can be a challenge for some, even more so for others. If you put an optic or red dot on it that tends to fix that issue which some claim with accuracy.

9mm AKs? Love love love. Can’t go wrong. PSAs AKV, it’s is a dream. Little American Vityas suka. Sweet little fire breather. And cheap mags. The only thing I don’t like is them putting on AR style furniture. Easy enough to change out. The only thing wrong with it isn’t even wrong. It can eat up a lot of ammo quick. A natural bumper if you know what I mean.

I don’t think the AK in American calibers is gonna go anywhere soon.
I concur, and under folder sbr m85 in 5.56 and same in 7.62x39… my favorites and make a supper small package that will fire folded. Ar-15 mags work in the m85, I mean that’s what it is designed for. It is a pv. Both love the cheapest terrible steel ammo you can find :)

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah and i mean i don't want to sound like a shill but i feel a lot of people hate on them out of brand loyalty or whatever.

at the end of the day, they are sourcing and buying from the same manufacturers everyone else is. what they aren't making themselves they are buying from the same pool everyone else does.

you will find the *exact* same parts in a PSA ar that you will in a colt, at least some of them. a lot of the small lower parts are made by the same people like L. W. Schneider. i know for a fact the hammer that came in a le6920 is the *exact* same one in the EPT kit from PSA.

i never understood brand loyalty, whether it's iphone vs samsung, glock vs 1911, ak vs ar, ford vs chevy. i mean, aside from Oklahoma being better than Texas. I think on some level people form their own self-image off of a false image projected by a corporation. I like Iphone, i use one, it's a better choice for me at the moment. but if Google came out with Samsung 69 which provided me a better experience i would use it.

The question is, if you fell on hard times, which one of these companies would back you up?

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
oh absolutely. it's an "association with a winner" thing. heck i've heard hi points are actually just fine firearms; i just think they are ugly as sin lol.

lord knows i love a cheap functioning firearm. that's what made the ak so special. i fully believe unless there's congressional intervention PSA ak's, american made, will be sub $500 in a few years.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concur, and under folder sbr m85 in 5.56 and same in 7.62x39… my favorites and make a supper small package that will fire folded. Ar-15 mags work in the m85, I mean that’s what it is designed for. It is a pv. Both love the cheapest terrible steel ammo you can find :)

i really want an underfolder AK, those are sweet. that's the thing that sucks about the AR-15 having a gun buffer tube

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
oh absolutely. it's an "association with a winner" thing. heck i've heard hi points are actually just fine firearms; i just think they are ugly as sin lol.

lord knows i love a cheap functioning firearm. that's what made the ak so special. i fully believe unless there's congressional intervention PSA ak's, american made, will be sub $500 in a few years.

Capitalism man, i'm telling you.

Hi-points are....i mean, they're functional firearms for the price...You can stack it next to a bunch of old VCRs and nobody would be the wiser...and if you run out of ammo you can use it as a bludgeon...

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I missed the boat about 7 years ago when they first started importing those M85s. They were like $400. The Russian AK74su krinkovs were the same price. Boy needed a new violin. So I didn’t get one.

Those mags for the M85 we’re selling for $10 a pop. Didn’t have the gun and they had stopped importing them. Was thinking hard about buying some just in the event they started again. Then the price of the guns jumped way up and the mags tripled

Last edited:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm brand-loyal, that's just me. And Kudos to PSA and KUSA for bringing product to the market, but for ME, I'm import all the way. I've heard the Century rifles were hit and miss (surprise!), but that PSA seems to put out a decent product. Never could figure out how some uneducated goat herder could hammer out an AK from sheet metal in a Kandahar back alley that runs like a sewing machine, but Americans in a modern CNC factory can't make an AK worth a sh*t. I'd just like to see PSA or other get some reasonably priced ammo to the consumers. It's not that I'll probably ever need it, but I want it for the rest of my AK brothers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom