The end of the AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it the end of the AK-47 in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 61 87.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're like the SKS...popular because they and their ammo were cheap. Once it's not cheap, I see no advantage.
Ammo is still cheap as ****. It’s still a .30 caliber counter fire cartridge for under .35 round with ballistics like a 30-30 more or less. 30 round mags and lots of accessories. No one is bitching about the ridiculous prices of both steel and brass vases .223/5.56 now approaching the most common caliber in most of the free world,
7.62 x 39 is likely still ahead of it by millions

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People will adjust to the higher price of ammunition and keep on trucking.
I live in Idaho and a lot of people on the forum's, seems they are panic selling their AK's and 7.62X39 Ammo. Bought two 1040 round cases for $700. and with my wife's blessing. Even drove the truck to the meet. Guy I bought the ammo off of said he and some friends are trying to put together a deal with a former Soviet block Country to buy machinery to make 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 ammo. Said they have a lot of hoops to jump through to try and get it State side under Biden. He said in two years things could change. In the meantime if bought it would be stored in either Italy or Germany.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm quite a fan of the AK-47 personally. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a perfect platform. If i had to choose between an AK and an AR i'd choose an AR-15 for multitude of reasons. Availability in USA, reliability, accuracy, Ammo availability, Cost in USA, etc. but the AK-47 is a 'cool' gun, it has a lot of history too it, it's reliability is legendary, though i've seen the infamous Youtube videos that dispel it and show how reliable the 'closed' AR system is comparatively in adverse conditions. But the low maintenance nature, and (for the time) ease of manufacturing made it the weapon of choice amongst bad guys. I mean, it's an ugly ass gun, but that ugly has it's own sexiness to it.
classic-soviet-ak-machine-gun-260nw-1762587908.jpg

ak-74s are pretty awesome, too. it's a shame that the weapon isn't as available in the USA, and 7.62x39 is much cheaper and more available(or was) than the AK74 rounds.

It seems all is changing, the doomsday has arrived. With the sanctions, war in Ukraine and so on, these guns that used to be cheap beaters are now 1k+, some good examples over 1,300(!), even the old WASR is like ~800+

I can get a top of the line AR-15 for that. a superior weapon(in my opinion). Is there any reason to even own these things anymore? i bet the ammo is going thru the roof, too. Are the days of WASR over? I was wondering what ya'lls opinion on the AK market in 2022 and the future of the semi auto AK in the USA. I heard Kalashnikov USA is making new ones for 1,300, but it's hard to justify the price when i can get a decent AR for half that.... I mean, how do ya'll feel about the AK47/74?

Having said that
AK-74 is as reliable as it's father the AK-47. Ammo has been a problem in some area's. I bought two Romanians AK-74's in 1994-5 and at the time they were reasonably priced in contrast to other makes of AK's. Seems like I paid $125. each. We lived on 7 acres and I had a 150 yard range in the timbered 5 acres. I shot 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I was really impressed with the accuracy and really couldn't believe the group I was seeing on the target and with open sights to boot. It shot 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. For some reason the Romanian's were considered junk in the AK line of rifles back then and probably because they were new to America and cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom