The entitled generation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After being in the wedding industry for almost 13 years, i've seen small and inexpensive, small and expensive, large and inexpensive and over the top and lavish weddings. Sometimes it's the bride and groom who wants it, other times it's the parents. Usually the 'best' ones are the ones where the couple get the type of wedding they want because it usually means more than if it's the wedding that 'mom wants' or such.

But i will say i don't begrudge any of them their choices, within reason. Sometimes i question how they allocate their budget, but if they want a big wedding, who am i to judge. And frankly, i don't think the size of the wedding has any reflection on the type of person the bride or groom are (with a few exceptions, probably)

Now, i will say that i saw the OP discussion on twitter the morning before it was published as an article and did have some questions. Mostly about the realistic expectations and what you can ask of friends and family. The 'please give us money towards our wedding' isn't really new, but the set amount (and it being what it was) was definitely off-putting.

I'm guessing this person has other issues and this was just a manifestation of it (especially given the lack of remorse/understanding in the post).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
We paid for all of ours. And one persons "contribution" to this crazy person's wedding would have paid for our entire event. I take it back, we didn't pay for all of it, my parents paid for the food for the rehearsal dinner (some friends cooked it), and Mrs. Nikat's parents bought some of the decorations (there weren't much).

Knowing what I know now, I would have done a few things differently, but not the budget.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In our case, that was nearly 50 years ago, so since I've slept since then, I don't remember the cost or who paid what. We were married in a small church in the Panhandle with primarily family as guests. Reception was at the church and a honeymoon spent in Amarillo, TX. That's when I first learned about buying women's shoes. Wife had forgotten to bring casual shoes, so all she had was the heels that she wore for the wedding.

Then, around 2003, our oldest son and his fiance got married on our 5 acres near Blanchard. Our local preacher did the wedding and we did help with buying decorations and such, but it wasn't a lot of money. Even though I swore MANY YEARS ago that I would NEVER do wedding photography, they asked me to take pictures because they couldn't afford a normal wedding photographer. I told them the work would be more in line of being casual snapshots and they were fine with that.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went to the county courthouse, found a judge to marry us and a couple of witnesses. Done. That was nearly over 34 years ago and still together.

This. My last words as a single woman, as we were walking down the hall to the judge's chambers was "We don't have to get married. I'm perfectly fine with living in sin." Didn't work. I'm married. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom