The Fixed Blade knife thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So whats the low down on the Glock Field Knife?

I wouldn't spend $30 on one. It's a full-tang design, but Glock won't disclose what blade steel it is other than "Spring Steel" and the fact that it is a carbon steel which probably means something along the lines of 1075 based on performance reviews.

If it was 1075 at an HRC of 55, it would have terrible edge-retention and likely bend easily under any sort of strain (which tends to match user reviews online).

At that price-point, there are a ton of better knives (including several Moras, Condor knives, even Schrade is using better steel on a lot of their knives).

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0304.jpgIMG_0305.jpg
Old (pre-1977) Western Bowie Knife W49. Okay, it is marked (I didn't see it at first):

(Left side of the guard toward the blade)
WESTERN
USA
(Right side of the guard toward the blade)
W49

The clip was sharpened sometime in the past. I'd like to get the blade cleaned up/polished out. I apparently also have the original "swinger" sheath without the "Western" stamp. I really don't like the sheath, so I'd like to have a new one made. I will hang on to the original, though. What do you think?

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thread! Good info here. I like the Beckers and D2. Anybody here have a McCroskey? I thought I have always wanted one, just never have time to get to Stillwater.

No need to. Just call him. I just took the plunge and ordered one today. Been looking at them on his web site. Talked a couple of times by e-mail, then talked to him on the phone twice today. Put my order in this evening. He gives a good discount if you're a member or NRA, NAHC, RMEF ...

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone watch dual survivor? Matt graham has a knife that I cannot find. It looks like a condor Gladius but it isn't. To also resembles another condor. I have read that it is a modified condor. All I knownits it is sharp as can be and chops really well. That's thr kind I am looking for.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on a serious fixed blade spree lately. Added a BK9, BK7, BK16, and a Tops BOB to the stable. Waiting on AZWELKE kydex sheaths for the BK7 and BK16 to arrive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

skyhunter143rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both the bk2 and the 16. You're 100% correct about the bk2 being too heavy for edc. After learning that I don't really want to carry a 2lb knife around I considered both the bk16 and the kabar eskabar. Ultimately decided on the 16, stripped the coating off and heat colored it bronze. Very very happy with this decision.

Edit: actually just finished coloring my bk2
i1285.photobucket.com_albums_a589_caojyn_DDF291FF_0706_4487_B5C2_9647DAFEA306_zpskxhtqtkz.jpg
That's a nice knife..... bk2 is the way to go for the price

Latest posts

Top Bottom