The Fobus Evolution for the G3C kinda blows.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf_walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to like this holster, and I may yet if I'm able to fix it, but out of the box, for the G3C, it's a range toy.
Reason for this in short, is unless your draw stroke is PERFECT, it will hang up five out of ten draws.
This is obviously not so hot for regular carry/defensive use. I don't know if you've ever tried to draw
off balance or on the ground or while moving but it's mighty hard to have a picture perfect straight
up draw in those cases. I've worn the finish off a week old guns slide (which admittedly is a Taurus so
that's not that dramatic) practicing and it just isn't happening. In fairness Fobus says this outright on
the product page, and even has videos about such, but I didn't think they were quite that literal.

This holster is semi-generic, they have a bunch of models that fit a handful of guns each, and I
suspect the trigger guard is just too wide on the G3C. It "works", but out of the box I noticed
with the retention adjustment screw nearly, or fully, out there was still some retention.
And sure enough if you're a little bit off, because of the way this thing is made, it will lock up tight.
Maybe you'll die, or you're buddies will laugh at you. Less than ideal either way. I don't see any sign of
this being a problem with my particular example, but it's not impossible.

Being it was cheap and I'd been drinking, I've sanded and poked and fiddled with it and it's better, and I think some application of
heat and possibly making the split on the retention side full instead of having it be a V shape might make
it work, but I'm not sure yet.

In it's defense, the material is good, the paddle red rubber is good, it's stable, and most importantly to me
this being the non-rotating cant model sits close to the body. I've no doubt that there are other models that
fit and work alright with other pistols, though I do still question the basic retention setup being only on one side
of the trigger guard and it relying on an expanding V slit in plastic from an engineering standpoint.

The holster hunt continues.

wolf_walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had anything from them, just knew the name had been around ages.
It's really not bad, other than what I believe is a fundamental flaw in the retention mechanism, least for
this gun. I'm a Safariland guy just about exclusively for years and years.

wolf_walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In business and apparently thriving. Just goes to show I guess...

That one in the video is the cheaper non-evolution line fwiw. I just tried to break this one I have and couldn't, but
I'd only trust the rivets so far.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That one in the video is the cheaper non-evolution line fwiw. I just tried to break this one I have and couldn't, but

Maybe so, but still. A holster is something you shouldn't skimp on. It's basically an insurance policy. I see so many cops wearing cheap, plastic holsters whenever I attend mandatory CLEET training classes. Why would you use a $20 holster to protect a $500+ firearm?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I wouldn't say thriving lol..... I know of no store here in Tulsa that carries them.

Themillz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried a Fobus early LE career as a off duty and never tried another. Not impressed as their plastics seem not as stable and draw was not smooth. QC is an issue I believe

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Fobus holster way back before I knew any better, I’m certain that I purchased it at Tulsa Firearms. I may still have it in a drawer somewhere. IN all honestly there are plenty of bad holsters on the market at a price point that most consumers are willing to pay. Those not willing to pay usually stuff it inside their waistband or a pocket.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom