The Frankensnub is alive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think my Smith & Wesson model 10-7 project is about done. I may spring for some Ahrends retro banana stocks sometime down the road, but that's it.

This started as a frame with sideplate and barrel from Gunbroker.
10-7b1SM.jpg

10-7b10.jpg

Add in a "parts kit" from the same site.
10-7b8.jpg

I was very fortunate in a few ways at this step. The parts arrived with a polished .500" target trigger and a .500" target hammer. The best part was that the parts only required minor fitting to become a functional whole. A few passes of rust blue got things looking pretty uniform.
10-7b2SM.jpg

10-7b3SM.jpg

Having less than $200 in it at this point I figured we might as well keep going. I picked up some cheap diamond files and cut a notch into the front sight. The next day I packed it up and shipped it off to Mahovsky's in PA for their Metalife hard chrome plating. It arrived back at my door just shy of two months later. The new front sight insert was in place and curing before bedtime.

Now I have a unique carry piece which I figure will last darn near forever. A 2" model 10 snub with target trigger, target hammer, colored sight insert and an indestructible finish. You can call me Bubba, but I really enjoyed the process and am pleased with the results.

10-7b6SM.jpg

10-7b7SM.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent -- Is that a 4" model 10 bull barrel you got with your kit?

Yes, the kit came with a 4" heavy barrel. I just put it in the spare parts box. The kit was actually from a 10-6. Since I was using the matching yoke & cylinder it didn't really matter which piece had the gas ring.

Last edited:

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happened to the logo on the sideplate? :ugh2: It's gone! :ooh2:
It's on the other side. Smith moved the logo to the left side around 1981 - just before they stopped pinning the barrels.

The right side of the logo is a bit faint. I believe I did that whilst removing some pitting from the frame.
10-7b11SM.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom