The Grammys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most locals avoid Dirty 6th. That's where undergraduate students party. If you didn't get off of 6th, you missed the goodness that Austin encompasses.
Sorry but when Im in town I have to spend some time at Buffalo biliards playing some foos with local buddies. I missed the big Bart O tournament there this past weekend for the first time in many years, I almost went with some Tulsa friends Friday night but couldnt get away. Other than that I stay off of 6th unless Im there for SXSW.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry but when Im in town I have to spend some time at Buffalo biliards playing some foos with local buddies. I missed the big Bart O tournament there this past weekend for the first time in many years, I almost went with some Tulsa friends Friday night but couldnt get away. Other than that I stay off of 6th unless Im there for SXSW.

Oh yes, if you know where you're going, there are still some treasures left on 6th. My comment was made in context to Steelfingers's claims about "Austin".

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yes, if you know where you're going, there are still some treasures left on 6th. My comment was made in context to Steelfingers's claims about "Austin".
My last address in Austin was in the early 90s for a summer, 18th and MLK area. I came to work with a guitar mentor of mine, Van Wilks. When I was a kid I spent summers at my uncles place at Lake Travis and he had gave me lessons so when I was in my 20s I came back to bug him again for a summer of lessons. Love the place.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OMG Buffalo Billiards. Our company holds a huge conference every year at the convention center, so we're always downtown that week. Some sales guys got me DESTROYED in that place. They figured out what I was drinking and would just walk up with a new one when my hand was empty. I don't really even remember playing pool in there although I know I did... Wife drove me home, threw up twice on the way. Not a fun morning. Can't bring myself to go back.

Dirty 6th blows overall though. Friends always want to go because everyone talks about it. We take them down there, we walk around for about 30 minutes, and everyone is done. Then we walk to the better places downtown. In my college days I partied down there when I was interning here, but that's it.

Losing Uber sucked. They still run in the 'burbs. They will take you from the suburbs into Austin, but not the other way around. There are other rideshares here though. They are pricier because they have to comply with all the local hoopla, but still better than cabs. Ugh.

Edit: @nofearfactor I just moved to Leander so my uncle sent me a snap of a receipt from SRV buying guitars and his address was Leander. I didn't know he lived up there.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My last address in Austin was in the early 90s for a summer, 18th and MLK area. I came to work with a guitar mentor of mine, Van Wilks. When I was a kid I spent summers at my uncles place at Lake Travis and he had gave me lessons so when I was in my 20s I came back to bug him again for a summer of lessons. Love the place.
Van Wilks still gets around, and has a loyal following locally.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tis the season for all the entertainment and media industry to make all over itself, wear dresses that cost a year's salary for most people, get interviewed on talks show, and make me puke.

Don't get me wrong, I like me some music and movies, just not the subculture that seems to come with it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only category Im ever concerned with has already been given at the pre telecast ceremony earlier- Megadeth won over some really badazz bands for best metal performance. Now Im just halfazz watching it with the wife. Ive been a union musician and tech for over 25 years and have been to the Grammys only once.
Glad to see Megadeth win. They do put on a great show. I still remember the first time I seen them. They were with Ronnie James Dio at the Lloyd Noble. I was blown away by both. That had to be around 87, 88ish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom