The Great CQB Lie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure the best way to survive most of what is coming is to be more valuable to your community live than dead. If more people have a vested interest in keeping you above room temperature then your odds go up a few ticks.

Just looked at the time stamp. How the crap did I resuscitate this ancient ridiculosity? Lo siento amigos...🤦‍♂️

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past few months as I have some extra time on my hands.

I've been noticing how many civilians are very very focused on Close Quarters Battle (CQB) training. YouTube is full of videos and many instructional classes have large blocks dedicated to the subject. Many of my friends who are 2nd Amendment minded folks tend to focus their gear and range time toward this subject. I was speaking with my wife about crisis plans and she asked what we do in certain situations and based on my experience, I found myself avoiding CQB in almost every instance. This is of course from the perspective of an individual or small family unit.

I don't think any individual, trained or not could hold a structure against a trained element. On that subject, I don't think an individual or small untrained element could stand a chance taking a structure against a small force. Unless the situation is your family being held hostage, I don't think there is a reason to strike or attempt a CQB engagement. With that in mind why do so many focus their training time and gear towards CQB? I'm speaking of the prevalence of SBRs and the ubiquitous 300 Blk. Not only that, but I see many people who focus on a very slick style gear that is very minimalist to not get in the way for CQB.

Outside of a home intruder, because personally I believe a pistol is far better than the SBRs and such, in what instance do you see CQB training actually being put to use.

I understand that the war on terror taught the military a great deal about CQB tactics, but many of those tactics are applicable to engagements with poorly trained enemies and/or small elements. The only CQB tactics I believe are universally applicable are speed, surprise, and violence of action, but those are applicable to every type of engagement.

The crisis situations my wife and I covered were extended power outages, large scale natural disasters, criminal elements targeting our family, and political instabilities. In all those situations, I would defend held territory and attempt to seek out allies. Unless my family was taken hostage and the Police just did not want to do anything, I can't see a situation where I would have to take a structure. At least not immediately, or by myself.

Final point. I do have CQB oriented arms, but I tend to structure my gear and arms towards scenarios where distance is an issue. For those that focus on CQB training and gear, what experiences/research has taught you to do so? What are you thinking you'll use that for or do you just like the challenge and puzzles that CQB provokes?
To me, SBR's and AR pistols are just a novelty for the avg Joe to brag to their buddies at the range, etc. That is why I have steered clear of them and PCC's...I have no application for them in the real world and don't want to spend that kind of money on a trophy. For the hobbyists who really enjoy building & shooting all sorts of guns, I can see having one in your collection. But for the real world, unless you are a member of the SWAT team, I don't see a use. I believe a pistol or shotgun with bird shot is a better home defense tool...A rifle cartridge or higher-velocity pistol cartridge coming out of a longer barrel is more dangerous to your family and neighbors in a true home defense situation. In the zombie apocalypse, if you had to take a building, you probably would not want to do it alone, nor would you want to hurt a family hiding inside if it turned out not to be bad guys. But I'd imagine you could take a building if you had enough guys, even if they had revolvers LOL.

In the wild, a coyote won't take unnecessary risks because he knows he's done if he gets hurt too bad to hunt. I would think the same applies to people in a WROL situation. HOWEVER, if I was hunkered down in a structure, I think an AR pistol or SBR with a drum would be an excellent defensive weapon. But only in a situation where a group is assaulting your position...not ideal to me for home defense in normal times. A PCC might also be good in that situation or if you were camping on the move in thick woods, or needed something to grab from a vehicle.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, SBR's and AR pistols are just a novelty for the avg Joe to brag to their buddies at the range, etc. That is why I have steered clear of them and PCC's...I have no application for them in the real world and don't want to spend that kind of money on a trophy. For the hobbyists who really enjoy building & shooting all sorts of guns, I can see having one in your collection. But for the real world, unless you are a member of the SWAT team, I don't see a use. I believe a pistol or shotgun with bird shot is a better home defense tool...A rifle cartridge or higher-velocity pistol cartridge coming out of a longer barrel is more dangerous to your family and neighbors in a true home defense situation. In the zombie apocalypse, if you had to take a building, you probably would not want to do it alone, nor would you want to hurt a family hiding inside if it turned out not to be bad guys. But I'd imagine you could take a building if you had enough guys, even if they had revolvers LOL.

In the wild, a coyote won't take unnecessary risks because he knows he's done if he gets hurt too bad to hunt. I would think the same applies to people in a WROL situation. HOWEVER, if I was hunkered down in a structure, I think an AR pistol or SBR with a drum would be an excellent defensive weapon. But only in a situation where a group is assaulting your position...not ideal to me for home defense in normal times. A PCC might also be good in that situation or if you were camping on the move in thick woods, or needed something to grab from a vehicle.
AR/AK pistols can have real world use. During the riots of 2020 in Seattle I traveled with my ZPAP (later purchased an AR pistol for this purpose). Handy to wield in a vehicle and fits into a backpack so when you arrive at work you can walk in like a normal person. So I guess other than my CC they are the only guns I "used" in the real world.

I had a position where I had to be at work in a disaster ( and was the neighborhood watch captain) I remember it was the day after the start of the riots, smoke hung over the city, everything smelled like burnt plastic. It sun was coming up red due to the smoke in the air. I had plates, slung AK, pistol belt. I walked out to my truck and ran into a neighbor walking their dog. They said "Hi" and paused then asked where I was going. I replied, "to work." They then said "Have a good day." It was pretty surreal.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AR/AK pistols can have real world use. During the riots of 2020 in Seattle I traveled with my ZPAP (later purchased an AR pistol for this purpose). Handy to wield in a vehicle and fits into a backpack so when you arrive at work you can walk in like a normal person. So I guess other than my CC they are the only guns I "used" in the real world.

I had a position where I had to be at work in a disaster, and the neighborhood watch captain. I remember it was the day after the start of the riots, smoke hung over the city, everything smelled like burnt plastic. It sun was coming up red due to the smoke in the air. I had plates, slung AK, pistol belt. I walked out to my truck and ran into a neighbor walking their dog. They said "Hi" and paused then asked where I was going. I replied, "to work." They then said "Have a good day." It was pretty surreal.
Well in your case your work justified it just like a swat team LOL...I will concede the fact that an AR pistol or PCC is the ULTIMATE truck gun if you can afford it and can secure it properly. If I could get a Sig 552, that would be my personal choice. So didn't mean to bash anyone who has a use, I just think about it for ME, and if SHTF, I can use a regular rifle, and home defense I prefer a pistol.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well in your case your work justified it just like a swat team LOL...I will concede the fact that an AR pistol or PCC is the ULTIMATE truck gun if you can afford it and can secure it properly. If I could get a Sig 552, that would be my personal choice. So didn't mean to bash anyone who has a use, I just think about it for ME, and if SHTF, I can use a regular rifle, and home defense I prefer a pistol.
Yea really the best thing to do during civil unrest is stay home. My neighborhood was across a bridge and completely untouched.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Experts.
Experts everywhere
Let me tell you what - I've shot USLGBTSA competition for YEARS, and have the colorful Spandex shirt to prove it! On top of that, I was LE in the county, and let me tell you, we did some stuff. Can't judge if you haven't been in my shoes, and the invaluable lessons learned the hard way pretty much negates anything you've seen or experienced. You gotta be prepared!

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion the only CQB I think a civilian should focus on is if they have to clear their house to get to the kids bedroom if there is an intruder. Other than that I think most people are living a fantasy. The SWAT cops and military guys I talk to point out a very big things people miss. When they do CQB they are supported by 2 or three times the amount of people who actually kick in the doors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom