The great elk hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deerslayer, Oklahomabassin, and myself along with others did an elk hunt over the weekend.
here are the pics, and story. The others should chime in with their personal stories.

We got there on Friday before the hunt and did some scouting. The area is in the migration route of elk, so depending on how much snow, and cold weather, the elk will be there or not. Last year had the cold weather but no snow, so the elk stayed high. Tag Soup.

The 7500 acre ranch has property on both sides of a highway. During the scouting session, we saw no fresh tracks on the west side, but saw elk grazing on the east side meadows through spotting scopes. Next day we put the stalk on some we had seen, but by the time we made it 3/4 of a mile in, and 900' up in 10" snow, they had moved back into the woods. A couple of us stayed in place to wait for the evening feeding, while two of the guys walked back down to get some food and water. On the way we heard shots. They saw, and killed two cows. (cow tags are what all of us had) We watched them get the snowmobile out and get them down to the road. Finally Mark came back up the mountain with the food. That guy was a stud! It was exhausting getting there once, but he did it twice in three hours, and helped drag out two elk(one being in a 30' deep ravine, on top of that!
Mark, being the elk expert decided that we need to scatter up the mountain, and he would circle around the herd we saw earlier, to drive them to us. I chose to go up the highest, climbing through some snow that was almost hip deep at times, and saw a bowl with a lot of elk in it. Mark made it around, and we saw around 400 elk come out of the bowl, and mill around in the meadow. They were over 600 yds away, and finally went back into the timber without giving a chance for a shot.
The next morning, we split up with one group going to the west and the other to the east. As soon as we got in and started walking up the mountain, the elk came out of the trees, into a meadow about 175 yds away, so we dropped two right away, with another hunter dropping one a little way up the trail. We contacted the other group, so they could come. They showed up, and went further up the trail, finally spotting a group of cows WAY up in a meadow. If I remember right it was over 500 yds, and he hit her, a little far back, but put another one in that broke the leg. They hiked up and finished the job. So the story is 7 hunters, and 7 kills.
Mine was a calf, which is ok, as I already have a half beef, three whitetail in the freezer already. My first elk, so I'm pretty happy.

There are pics coming from the others.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010112.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010117.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010119.jpg

You can see the cow down on the meadow.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010118.jpg

Meat barn at the ranch. Made of hand hewn logs, chinked with mud. No telling how old it is.
Mark, the elk expert is in front. Oklahomabassin is to the right.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010122.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010121.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010135.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010142.jpg

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That calf will taste much better than last year's tag. I look forward to getting back there next year. I just have to get the second 300wm built for going waay down town. How was the 'yote hunting the next morning?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin connected with his first shot at 615 yards uphill. The Ranch was founded in 1869 and was assembled by grubstaking gold miners. When the mines failed or the miners quit then the family acquired the land. There are several mines on the property. We saw 2 herd bulls that were in the 330 - 340 inch class and 1 muley buck that was a nice 5 X 5. The weather this year was pretty warm until Monday morning when we awoke to - 10 degs. I have hunted this Ranch for the past 13 years and my success ratio is currently 85% in 2- 3 days of hunting. It took 2 days to fill our tags.
Bassin hooped and hollered when he finally got his animal anchored. I was really proud of him. He had a smile on his face as big as Texas. I did not know him a year ago but grew to appreciate him after working with him as one of our volunteer guides with the Okla Youth Hunting and Shooting Program. A few days before we were scheduled to leave on the annual hunt I asked if he would like to join us as I had an opening. It has been a pleasure to get to know him.
Great pics Dennis. I look forward to seeing the rest of your pics.

Ok, Bassin lets hear your story of your first elk hunt.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The owners of the Ranch have become like a second family to me. We speak at least once a month year round. We have helped them several times on some projects and they trust us. The most important hunt of the year is going out to the ranch. Huckleberry has cut his elk hunting teeth on this ranch and I consider it my fourth home." Tha edge" has hunted this Ranch for, I think, 15 years. Of course, Dave and I have grown old together,knowing each other since 1976. I dare say that this Ranch is Dave's second home. We pray that the family can keep the Ranch together for the next generation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That calf will taste much better than last year's tag. I look forward to getting back there next year. I just have to get the second 300wm built for going waay down town. How was the 'yote hunting the next morning?

Well, not so good. I figured the yotes would be feasting on the gut piles, but as everybody has said the magpies clean them up within hours. DeerSlayer said he wondered if the two track up the mountain was open, so I decided to head up that way. With the GPS, started at 8100 ft, and ended up at 9250' with a round trip of 2.3 miles, carrying the AR15. I was 150' or so from the top, but with the sun, the 50 degree slope was getting dangerous, so went back down. Didn't see or call any coyotes, but did take out a magpie at 75 yds that responded to the call and settled into a pine tree.
Big puff of feathers.

On the way home, I saw several coyotes cross the road between Buffalo and Alva. Perfect terrain for them, and for persons hunting them.

Pic from as High as it went.

Same location, different altitude:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010131.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Elk_20hunt_202012_P1010136.jpg

Had to delete the first pic until figuring out something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom