The great elk hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magpie's and Raven's make good targets. My longest is 368yds with the 300wm, about 20mins after I killed an elk at the same range. Puff's of feathers make the heart warm and fuzzy.

I am picking up a new 243 today (new to me), as soon as I get a load built for it, i will be calling you for a little Yote outing. Going to see how it shoots for a while before I rebarrel and build into a 22-243. AKA coyote death ray!!

Tha edge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you all did good and had fun. Excellent food fodder and you cannot buy beef for the total price of the elk meat brought home. We leave next friday(6 tags) and we have one rookie as a replacement. Glad you made it home safe and sound. Did the group up north get home ok?
dave

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love it when the combination of weather and animals all come together on an elk hunt, it wouldn't be proper elk hunting without knee deep snow:) Congrats to all you guys, wish I could have been there to slice, dice, and drag.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great post! What an awesome trip, great photos and details, can't wait to read more from the other guys. You all are blessed to have such a place to go year after year and enjoy the hunt, scenery, comaraderie and everything else that goes with it that makes hunting, and trips like this, so unique and special. Congratulations to each of you.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sesh- You would have been in elk heaven. The guests from Nebraska said they saw more elk in one afternoon than they had seen in their lifetime. Two of the guests were from Valentine Nebraska, a father and son team, the third was from So. Dakota. I have known the son since 1996 as a client which turned into a close friendship. He has access to 50,000 acres+ that we hunt on for various game animals and birds. He is also a part time fishing guide for walleye,catfish and yellow perch. I will meet him at a trade show in Nebraska in a couple of weeks and we my go ice fishing for walleye if we have time. It has taken 3 years for him to make up his mind to come hunt with me. He has committed to 2 tags for next year already.

Several years ago Huckleberry 75 and I spent 3 days deer hunting on an average ranch which is 40,000 acres with John. Huckleberry killed a 3 beamed whitetail that weighed an estimated 275 pounds on the hoof. John harvested a 200 pound whitetail out of the same herd on the same day. We also shot a bunch of pheasants, sharptail grouse, a few jack rabbits the size a small cocker spaniel, and ice fished for walleye over that weekend.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Dave the huskers made it home fine. I will be home all next week and will get you Johnathan's knife and emtpy brass for you to reload before you head out for your hunt.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on your first Elk Dennis! I've never been and only hope my first trip someday will be as successful and fun as yours sounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom