The great elk hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations, guys! Beautiful pics and obviously a good time. I've gone twice in the span of thirty-four years (literally) and never fired a shot! O.K. I'm jealous!

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sesh- You would have been in elk heaven. The guests from Nebraska said they saw more elk in one afternoon than they had seen in their lifetime. Two of the guests were from Valentine Nebraska, a father and son team, the third was from So. Dakota. I have known the son since 1996 as a client which turned into a close friendship. He has access to 50,000 acres+ that we hunt on for various game animals and birds. He is also a part time fishing guide for walleye,catfish and yellow perch. I will meet him at a trade show in Nebraska in a couple of weeks and we my go ice fishing for walleye if we have time. It has taken 3 years for him to make up his mind to come hunt with me. He has committed to 2 tags for next year already.

Several years ago Huckleberry 75 and I spent 3 days deer hunting on an average ranch which is 40,000 acres with John. Huckleberry killed a 3 beamed whitetail that weighed an estimated 275 pounds on the hoof. John harvested a 200 pound whitetail out of the same herd on the same day. We also shot a bunch of pheasants, sharptail grouse, a few jack rabbits the size a small cocker spaniel, and ice fished for walleye over that weekend.

those were mule deer that John and I shot.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry guys to keep you waiting. First and foremost, thank you Deer Slayer for the invitation, as I have dreamed of a hunting trip like this for years, and it was always a "someday" possibility. Dennis it was a great pleasure to meet you and share in the experience as well.

Upon arrival on Friday afternoon we proceeded to do a little scouting and saw close to a 100 elk on grassy meadows on the far mountains. They had to be at least a mile off the nearest roadway. We watched them till dark trying to get an idea of where we needed to be in the morning. As darkness settled in, I was amazed at the sight of at least 200 elk appear on every open areas on the west sides of the distant mountains. It was tough getting any sleep that night as I thought about the next days hunt. I was awake and on my feet well before the alarm went off, in anticipation of the day.
As the sun came up we headed into the ranch, seeing a couple nice bulls about 150 yards away feeding on the hay. Then we saw two more bulls crossing the snow covered valley. We donned our packs and headed up the mountain on foot. We traversed what seemed like 3 miles through snow covered timber and rock covered draws, only to be told by gps it was only a mile. As we left the dark timber, the elk we saw earlier on the mountainside had already moved on. Some of us waited them out as 2 of our group went off to the south. I woke up the two guys that stayed there with me to say I heard the guys shoot, just as I said that, there were a few more shots. We saw 1 elk come over the hill nearly half a mile away and lay down to expire. We eagerly awaited radio contact from them to see what they saw. Soon they confirmed they had saw 2 lone cow elk and had harvested both. After recovering the elk with the help of a snow mobile, one of the guys came back up the mountain on foot to lend any help needed. We split up across a valley to hopefully intercept the elk as they came out to feed in the open areas. The wind had shifted and the jig was up and the elk hurried back into the timber. The western sky was dark and ominous as the cold front was approaching with snow. We decided it was time to hike back out before night fall since we had originally planned on staying up there a couple hours. After a hearty dinner of butterflied and stuffed deer back straps, I was early to bed. Sunday morning I awoke to fresh snowfall and was eager for the sun to rise. We split up and one group went east and my group west. We had only been out for about 30 minutes when we got the call the east group had spotted a small herd and had tagged out. They said the herd was headed up the mountain but I might be able to get a shot if we hurried. As we pulled up to the gate, we could see 5 elk on the side of the far mountain, a little over a mile away. Deer Slayer said he would drive me in as far as he could then I was on foot the rest of the way. We made it in about 150 yards when he managed to get stuck in the snow, knowing I didn't have much time, I grabbed my rifle and headed out at a brisk pace. Today the hike in, wasn't at the leisurely pace as it was the day before, I had the game in sight, and was on a mission. I tried to keep trees between me and the elk as I closed in. It was all uphill and the snow varied from 10 inches to just over knee deep. As I approached the last tree between me and the elk, I peeked out to see they were still on the side of the mountain but slowly grazing toward the timber. I realized sitting against the tree and using my knees as a tripod wasn't going to work because the steepness of the hill. I laid down prone, realizing the snow as so deep, it wouldn't support my elbows. I realized in my hurry, that I left my pack in the truck that had my gloves, water, emergency supplies, and radio. I raked in snow and packed a foundation down with bare hands all the while trying to keep my gun barrel out of the snow. I grabbed my range finder to check yardage, but its just a little shy and wouldn't reach that far. I figured 600 yards and made the adjustments and peered through the scope, I was still breathing way to hard to make the shot. So I tried to control my breathing the next couple minutes as the elk moved slowly toward the timber. As the first one disappeared into the timber, I knew I had only moments left before they would all disappear. I steadied my rifle and took in a breath of air and held it. I squeezed off the trigger and heard a good solid thud. I realized that I was still breathing hard and I could count my pulse by the tremors of the reticle. I stroked my bolt back to eject the spent cartridge and reload another. 4 of the 5 elk walked south along the side of the mountain leaving the elk that I targeted alone. She slowly walked west nearly straight toward me. I knew by this, she had been hit, but had been told to shoot till they are down. So as soon as she turned broadside, I squeezed off another and heard another good thud. She stumbled and fell to the ground. I ejected the spent case and picked the brass up and then quickly shoved my hands inside my coat to warm them up. I celebrated with a good yell and headed back towards the trucks. I borrowed the range finder Deer Slayer had to verify the range. 615 yards for the first shot and 564 yards for the second shot. I then realized the easy part was done, I had to get to her and then get her off that mountain. Luckily she expired on a nice 45 degree snow covered slope and I just had to plant my feet good and give her a good tug every 10 feet or so till she was in a flat area the snow mobile could get to her.
The blue square was were the elk were when we pulled up to the gate.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC01866.jpg

another view, not zoomed in.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC01865.jpg

Picture as I walked up to elk.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC01850.jpg

i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_elk_1.jpg

The fog over the lake by Eagle Nest, New Mexico.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC01871.jpg

Attachments

• elk-1.jpg
    elk-1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 105

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will meet him at a trade show in Nebraska in a couple of weeks and we my go ice fishing for walleye if we have time.

Not unless it gets cold up here! There is no ice safe enough to walk on at current that I know of. 60 degree days in January don't build much ice!!!

BTW, what state were you guys in? Never saw that mentioned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom