The great elk hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave, I agree with Dennis, you guys were handed a bad hand and still made a heck of a hand out of it. Glad nobody was serious hurt. Thanks for sharing the story with us.
"purple gate" is the dark gate at the south end of the property on the east side.

Tha edge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did not get any off the south fence line or really see any close that we could get to due to the wind. Tuesday morning, they saw 4 elk up the middle ridge from the middle gate 1/2 mile north of the south fence. Two guys parked there and went in. I dropped Corky and Ken off at the curve (in the wash) and they started up the ridge to the north. Leroy and I went to the south gate and drove in 1/4 mile, then started walking up the road northeast. The elk went east over the ridge and down toward the road leroy and I was on. This allowed the first guys coming up the middle to go directly to the place on the ridge that they had seen them initially. Their scent was blown up the canyon they were in but the elk were in the next canyon up. Just got lucky there. We were in the same canyon as the elk, but low enough that our scent was blowing up the slope more than just up the canyon. Divine Intervention.
For the numbers people. We were all shooting 30 cals. But do you know your bullets in combo with the caliber? Tim had 614# of energy at 1000 yards. Cye had 1482# at 1000 yards. Leroy, Corky and Ken had 1300# at 1000 yards and I had 1900# at 1000.:werd:
If you are going to hunt, know your weapon.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd enjoy it very much! However current and forseeable future finances would probably keep me from making the trip and purchasing the appropriate tag. Bills come first :disappoin

Latest posts

Top Bottom