The Great Resignation of 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fall under the category of "will not return to the office but will continue to work at home". I became eligible for retirement last Nov so I hold that ace up my sleeve and will use it promptly if recalled to the office. But a Zoom meeting yesterday by our Secretary of Transportation indicated that Teleworking has in most cases improved production and it is here to stay as we try to Modernize how we do things. He also talked about a huge rate of turnover so better compensation was a hot topic on the table and on the front burner so win win..
I fall under the category of "will not return to the office but will continue to work at home". I became eligible for retirement last Nov so I hold that ace up my sleeve and will use it promptly if recalled to the office. But a Zoom meeting yesterday by our Secretary of Transportation indicated that Teleworking has in most cases improved production and it is here to stay as we try to Modernize how we do things. He also talked about a huge rate of turnover so better compensation was a hot topic on the table and on the front burner so win win...
I’m afraid ODOT is slowly going to become irrelevant.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I walked the end of last Aug due to the dictatorship that was happening and they was going to cut my pay and increase my work load so i said the hell with it and took my 30+ years and walked out the door. And from what the other employees that are still there says it has went to hell in a hand basket since i left, i know 6 that walked shortly after i did just in my department.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of workers are fed up when others quit or retire and the workload of the departed is dumped on those remaining.
Sometimes you can't get anybody that wants to work but I think in higher paying jobs management just says to themselves I'll leave that position open and see if I can get by without hiring anybody. Sometimes it works for the bosses and sometimes it doesn't.
And it's true that sometimes businesses can't just jack up their prices to compensate for higher costs. I believe doctors get less money for treating a patient with medicaid than most insurance.
I also seem to remember before Remington went bankrupt they said one time that metal prices (brass, copper, lead) went sky high and they could not instantly pass those costs along to the customer.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 35 plus years in the trades, quite frankly my body is just giving up on me. I am not set to retire in grand style and still have 2 years to go and don't even care anymore. I started as an indentured slave in the hay fields at 13.

Wages have stagnated for so long while the costs of running up and down the road have quadrupled. And they killed all the tax breaks for expenses and expect you to eat it now. These can be substantial when your going hard.. Its just not worth it to me any longer. I will just live simpler or downsize.

The average age pipe fitter is 47 because younger people are not entering the craft trades in any numbers to speak of. When you look at the expenses involved, the hard work and long hours vs the pay scales I can't say that I blame them.

Sorry kiddos grandpa and the boomers are tired, Its your turn.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was let go April if last year. Was already going to school, hoping to pick up a degree so that I could find something new eventually, body was giving out, I had reached a dead end in my career, and I was just plain tired. 11months before I quit the previous job averaging 110k/yr with full benefits jobs to take a 57k/yr minimal benefits job and go to school while working 40-50hrs a week. I decided I was done, took 2 months to relax and make some side cash, and then figured out what I wanted to do. Choosing to change my life has been hell, but worth it in the end I hope. After getting screwed around, underpaid the entirety of my career, and sustaining a fair amount of physical damage I was done. Still am done. Self employment is the route for me, regardless of how hard it is. Period.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I understand, but the real money comes when others are making it for you. It’s crazy once you flip that part of your business on at the right time.
My point in this thread is I’ve had the leverage at times, employees have had the leverage at times.
That’s how our system works.
All the screeching from business owners now that labor has some leverage just seems a tad hypocritical to me.

Employees don't have leverage...majority cannot adapt or have capitol like a business owner.

Plus seeing as commerce drives the nation the businesses will always win. Lowering the age of employees to 14 for instance.

Thing is that the demands for higher wages, Healthcare, and this 4 day work week garbage will never get further than some memes. Simply because the people it resonates with are imprisoned with "just good enough" mentality.

They never want better...they just say they do. Then when they dont get it....they blame the world for not catering to them...the world won't change, you have to adapt.

More than 70% of goods sold on amazon are from sellers in other countries than America....think about how those people adapted?

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was let go April if last year. Was already going to school, hoping to pick up a degree so that I could find something new eventually, body was giving out, I had reached a dead end in my career, and I was just plain tired. 11months before I quit the previous job averaging 110k/yr with full benefits jobs to take a 57k/yr minimal benefits job and go to school while working 40-50hrs a week. I decided I was done, took 2 months to relax and make some side cash, and then figured out what I wanted to do. Choosing to change my life has been hell, but worth it in the end I hope. After getting screwed around, underpaid the entirety of my career, and sustaining a fair amount of physical damage I was done. Still am done. Self employment is the route for me, regardless of how hard it is. Period.

You know for you that makes sense....an employer doesn't give a damn about you....I know if I had employees I wouldn't for something like your deal...just that I have my own business to deal with....

My own life, my own family....like an employee would...it isnt malice, it just is...you do you, and let them to they....something like that

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 35 plus years in the trades, quite frankly my body is just giving up on me. I am not set to retire in grand style and still have 2 years to go and don't even care anymore. I started as an indentured slave in the hay fields at 13.

Wages have stagnated for so long while the costs of running up and down the road have quadrupled. And they killed all the tax breaks for expenses and expect you to eat it now. These can be substantial when your going hard.. Its just not worth it to me any longer. I will just live simpler or downsize.

The average age pipe fitter is 47 because younger people are not entering the craft trades in any numbers to speak of. When you look at the expenses involved, the hard work and long hours vs the pay scales I can't say that I blame them.

Sorry kiddos grandpa and the boomers are tired, Its your turn.

I do work inspection on the side boom cranes used in the pipe fitting Industry and I can confirm that majority of the workers i see are gen x....aint Millennial types in these labor fields.

Even on bucket trucks, for utilities, I dont see them making up the difference.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here ya go kid.
Pencil and paper.
Whats 1-7/8 plus 13/16.
Glad we sold and quit.
Letem all starve.

It isnt so much that aspect of adding fractions but more the simplicity of common sense you dont see anymore.

Or the lack of attentive personnel. Was just at 7-11 and the cashier was on a FaceTime call for the duration of the interaction we had.

Using ever single broken gear in the cogs of his mind to count 9 pennies back to me as change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom