The Great Resignation of 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the flip side companies have little to no loyalty to their employees, esp those who are long term employees.

I dont bounce around jobs, previous job was 23 years, current going on 15 in a few months.
"Some" companies have no loyalty or say "a lot" but mine has been different. And I am going on 31 years come Feb.
But for the most part you are spot on.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I ran my own side business back in the 90’s that was turning into a gold mine. Evenings and weekends.
Enough business that I was considering quitting the day job that was very high paying in the technical field of CNC machine tool control systems.
Was also getting requests for mechanical repairs that I did as well, but some of those jobs were taking time that could be spent on more profitable work.
Ended up hiring a guy I knew that got laid off to do the mechanical work at higher wages than he had been earning which also put cash in my pocket.
Similar to an auto shop getting $150 per hour to work on your car while paying the mechanic $30 per hour to do the actual work.
The dealership makes additional money that way.
I know it’s tempting to keep all the pie, but keeping a few slices of it that someone else provided for you is money in the pocket as well.

If a candidate accepts what they are offered, then that is their choice. Plenty of interviews i have done they either gave a low pay or answered their phone when doing the interview and I just left.....I won't ever accept what I am given anymore.

I tell them what I want, and they can accept it or find something else. I grew up on a rez....father always taking what he was given for jobs, and I learned that he was always taken advantage of.....still is really.

I am not....I can accept or deny my contracts....belive me I have turned some down too....in my industry the reputation is everything and it is a small world. Word gets around....they request me now....so many I can't keep up either, but I don't trust other people to take it as serious as I do.

They have zero interest if it succeeds or fails....they always count the clock...determining their pay and never giving a **** about the job...

I have tried and tried with people.....none of them give a damn. Wish they did because this industry needs people.....absolutely needs people.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And its in State Government...go figure. lol
I’ve always heard any government job, whether it’s state, federal, or whatever, is a great job. Used to the USPS was one of the best career job one could get, but I know that’s not true anymore, at least not right now it isn’t.

Government jobs are great if you’re as an employee, they just suck in the public’s eye, lol.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100% AGREED! That is obvious by the fact that most millinials and up don’t know what it’s like to have company family potluck meals, picnics, and Christmas parties. I worked for an O&G company for 27 years, the last company-oriented family get togethers stopped about the turn of the century, along with company loyalty. Up to my 10th work anniversary, every 5 years we got to pick a gift out of a catalog. Nice gifts too, for the first 5, I got a Dewalt circular saw, the second 5 I got a Bose home stereo system with surround sound. Then the bottom fell out (rather they stopped caring), in 2005 for 15 years, I got a $50 gift card for a dinner, for 20 I got a $25 Walmart card, for 25 I got an ink pen that didn’t work lol.

You are absolutely right, and it could very well be that the disloyalty of employers is what has caused employee disloyalty. The company I worked for from the age of 20, created a job for me, a significant promotion into the corporate ranks. I was in that job for 13 months and out of the blue, I went to work one morning, boss called me in his office, where he and HR were waiting, told me they were eliminating my job and I could take 6 months pay as severance, or take a job that paid $10 less per hour, putting me way down the ladder. I took severance, then with every job I interviewed for I got nothing. I found out soon enough from sources in those companies that they were ‘blackballing’ me. Yes that was extremely illegal of them to do so, I spoke to a lawyer who told me that in the corporate world, where all company management knows all of their counterparts in other companies, how could I prove it! So I was financially finished, that industry is all I ever knew, I searched feverishly for over a year. Eventually I had to pull my retirement, which as you know, if you pull retirement before the age of 59.5 you get 10% in penalties, plus another 30% (give or take) in taxes, so basically I only received around 1/2 of my retirement payout. That doesn’t last long when you are supporting a full household. But I had no choice, I was just trying to survive, but I was thinking with all my O&G experience, I’d surely find something, but no. All of this, plus I had to pay to get certified in a different career field, the cheapest being a CDL, which is extremely tougher nowadays than it was 20 years ago. Needless to say, my retirement is completely gone, and I have no plans to ever retire! So a word to the younger generations, work hard, try your best to be loyal, protect your job to the absolute best of your abilities, but in the big scheme of things, watch out for yourself and your family, because the companies, mostly the big ones, don’t care about you. My career was ended by just what you said, companies are no longer loyal to good, loyal employees…So I figure I’ll have to work for at least 26 years AFTER I die, in order to retire.

I apologize for the long rant, ***Steps down from soapbox***

Damn sorry to hear that buddy.

My previous employer did that to anyone with 20 years or more in, I watched one by one as we were picked off for little things. I knew I was on borrowed time, one monday morning after getting yelled at for something that happened on a night shift over the weekend not a day shift that I was on and being blamed for it, I said by and gave my notice.
Afterwards not one manager would come near me, if they saw me they would look for a way to move away, even to point of violating plant safety rules about jumping over the conveyors and not using crossover points, LOL it was epic.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn sorry to hear that buddy.

My previous employer did that to anyone with 20 years or more in, I watched one by one as we were picked off for little things. I knew I was on borrowed time, one monday morning after getting yelled at for something that happened on a night shift over the weekend not a day shift that I was on and being blamed for it, I said by and gave my notice.
Afterwards not one manager would come near me, if they saw me they would look for a way to move away, even to point of violating plant safety rules about jumping over the conveyors and not using crossover points, LOL it was epic.
And usually those managers are the sniffling little weasels, who had zero experience, and are only there because they have a degree, or know someone, or both.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i can tell you that a local government job s**** cause they dont give two flips about you unless you are in bed with the higher management or council, after spending 30+ years and being on call 24/7/365 for 25.5 of them years they was talking of cutting my pay which would affect my retirement down the road and they could care less that i left they just contracted my work out on major projects and put a flunky doing the other stuff that didnt have a clue what they was doing and ended up calling a contractor in to straighten it out. Which they would love to contract everything out so they dont have to pay medical insurance, workmans comp insurance or retirement on anyone.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yup pretty much.

I saw the comment you posted in the thread as well, it is something I used to subscribe to also.

However I realized that these people will always tell you what they did to get where they are....you take that information and adapt it to your own career path.

Assuming something only brings jealously and resentment within a place you can enjoy for the time you are there, or hate it and remain miserable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom