The heat and me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care for the heat but can deal with it. My wife is another story altogether though. She has a ton of health issues but the one that causes a lot of issues with the heat is a myocardial bridge so going into the heat causes elevated blood pressure which makes her feel as if she is having a heart attack. I have to do my best to make sure I precool the vehicle before we go somewhere as well as do my best to make sure that she can head straight inside and that wherever we are has decent AC. Also carry the instant cold packs and have had a few times where we have had to improvise ice packs with a couple of the plastic grocery style bags so she can try and cool her core down a bit.

Next year I am planning on pulling a vacuum on the AC system and recharging it with a different refrigerant. 134a just doesn't cut it when it's above 95 degrees. Heard the envirosafe stuff is supposed to work more like R12. It's fairly cheap so if it's not a big deal to try it out.

I did pretty well and fished through the whole summer last year, but this summer is kicking my butt! Still haven't figured out how to mount a swamp cooler in the bass boat. :(

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did pretty well and fished through the whole summer last year, but this summer is kicking my butt! Still haven't figured out how to mount a swamp cooler in the bass boat. :(
Make it an airboat, but put the prop up front (tractor configuration) rather than in the rear (pusher configuration). Adding mist is optional at that point.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I got overheated doing a full rubber suit repair job on a 95 degree day in our Alky Unit. That is a refinery unit that has HF acid in it. Another guy and I were out there suited up for two hours and later found out that 20 minutes is the usual limit then go cool off. After that day I have been very sensitive to heat. Now I'm in our main shop and have 5 fans and a portable AC unit. I get by. I don't even think about getting out and shooting until late Sept. or Oct.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a cable tech I have no choice :/ During the summer I go through about 6-8 hats as after a week or two they go from blue to a purplish color and have salt stains on the bill and hat. I've already dropped about 8 lbs this month and will probably lose another 7-8 lbs before summer is over.

Be careful man, I heard it can cause ya to go all bald-headed too. And get ugly.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I got overheated doing a full rubber suit repair job on a 95 degree day in our Alky Unit. That is a refinery unit that has HF acid in it. Another guy and I were out there suited up for two hours and later found out that 20 minutes is the usual limit then go cool off. After that day I have been very sensitive to heat. Now I'm in our main shop and have 5 fans and a portable AC unit. I get by. I don't even think about getting out and shooting until late Sept. or Oct.
Those alky units suck even without the suit I bet you wasn’t god for a few days

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Back in the day I could run around Iraq, Afghanistan, the Sonoran Desert wherever. Now I just casually walk from point A to point B, have not broken much of a sweat on the ranch yet this summer, but the boys and their youth are handling it like champs!! I honestly think age is a factor.... Then again, the requirements are not there as they once were either. Spoilt is a word I reckon describes me now... Must be a reason the tractor gods put AC in the cab huh?

Latest posts

Top Bottom