The heat and me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I got overheated doing a full rubber suit repair job on a 95 degree day in our Alky Unit. That is a refinery unit that has HF acid in it. Another guy and I were out there suited up for two hours and later found out that 20 minutes is the usual limit then go cool off. After that day I have been very sensitive to heat. Now I'm in our main shop and have 5 fans and a portable AC unit. I get by. I don't even think about getting out and shooting until late Sept. or Oct.

It is true that if you have a significant heat-related illness, such as a true heatstroke or severe heat exhaustion, it actually damages your body's ability to deal with the heat in the future, putting you at significant risk of further heat-related illnesses. Some kind of damage to the thermoregulatory center in your hypothalamus, I believe.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is true that if you have a significant heat-related illness, such as a true heatstroke or severe heat exhaustion, it actually damages your body's ability to deal with the heat in the future, putting you at significant risk of further heat-related illnesses. Some kind of damage to the thermoregulatory center in your hypothalamus, I believe.

Yep. I've had heat exhaustion a couple of times and when I was very young had heat stroke. I've become very aware of how my body is reacting and know when its time to cool off and drink cold clear liquids. Plus I take many small breaks where I get out of the sun and suck down some water/gatorade. During the course of my work day I go through 2 liters of water plus 64 to 96 oz of gatorade.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday morning the girls and I saddled horses at 4am to help a neighbor gather and preg 150 heifers. We got done at 7:50am and it was none too soon. Came home and went to the hayfield to mow for the rest of the day. As @D. Hargrove said, thank God for tractors with A/C in the cab!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have gotten hot enough to pass out twice in my life. Once when I was a teenager mowing and another time about ten years ago working construction.

Those incidents and also having neuropathy, along with being just plain ol' fat, make me very intolerant of the heat. I think the good Lord everyday for air conditioning and the ability to be able to afford it.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I had a heat stroke when I was a kid, stacking trucks in the alfalfa field. Passed completely out and came to sitting in the basement of the poultry with a cup of water in my hand. I had no idea how I got there. Can't handle the heat since then.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday morning the girls and I saddled horses at 4am to help a neighbor gather and preg 150 heifers. We got done at 7:50am and it was none too soon. Came home and went to the hayfield to mow for the rest of the day. As @D. Hargrove said, thank God for tractors with A/C in the cab!

Enjoy that kind of schedule while you're young! (If you CAN enjoy it!) The day will come ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom