The Importance of Pistol Caliber in Home Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://ccwsafe.com/blog/the-importance-of-pistol-caliber-in-home-defense
“Posted By: Justin Collett

When it comes to the stopping power of a firearm, the general wisdom is “bigger is better,” and this is absolutely true when the goal is to incapacitate an attacker. Firearms instructor Claude Werner says that, for law enforcement, the ability to incapacitate an assailant is important: “They have to render the assailant immediately powerless and unable to escape because they have to get the bracelets on a criminal that they’ve just justifiably shot.” For a home defender, however, the goal of self-defense is not to incapacitate or capture a criminal; it is to break contact with an attacker. “In the case of an armed citizen, if you shoot the criminal, and he runs away and the attack is ended,” Claude says, “that’s good enough.””
Nope! The number one thing is to stop the threat, a wounded intruder can still kill you and your loved ones…two to the chest and one in the brain bucket ( or my favorite”fill em with lease until they stop”.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to break this to some of you. Not everyone who has a firearm for self-defense wants to kill in defense of themselves or loved ones. Given what we’ve seen happen across the country, a significant number of people look down on even the police using lethal force. I’m not an attorney, but I’d imagine saying you wanted to stop the threat is going to play better in your defense than I wanted to kill my attacker. Yes; stopping the threat might mean that someone dies, but the threat leaving or you leaving can also be a victory.

link to Claude’s website and his list of Serious Mistakes. Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make

Claude’s bio:
Claude Werner

Bio:
is the Chief Instructor of Firearms Safety Training LLC (www.firearms-safety-llc.com), an NRA Certified Instructor and proud member if the US Concealed Carry Association. He is a retired Special Forces officer and was formerly the Chief Instructor at the elite Rogers Shooting School. An IDPA Master class competitor, he won six IDPA championships in Stock Service Revolver using a snub nose revolver.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to break this to some of you. Not everyone who has a firearm for self-defense wants to kill in defense of themselves or loved ones. Given what we’ve seen happen across the country, a significant number of people look down on even the police using lethal force. I’m not an attorney, but I’d imagine saying you wanted to stop the threat is going to play better in your defense than I wanted to kill my attacker. Yes; stopping the threat might mean that someone dies, but the threat leaving or you leaving can also be a victory.
I don't want to kill anyone either. But I also don't want some scumbag, who breaks into my house, wind up suing me for shooting him.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stopping the threat means just that. Stopping it. It may be as simple as the threat running away by making your presence known (best case). It may take a display of a firearm or other weapon. It may take shooting the threat. It may take shooting the threat more than once (if they're a slow learner...). And I agree...I'll NEVER say I meant to kill an attacker. NEVER. I don't care the circumstances. All I wanted to do was stop the attack.

"Obviously you wanted to kill him. Otherwise, why would you shoot him 7 times?" Because that's when he stopped being a threat.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to kill anyone either. But I also don't want some scumbag, who breaks into my house, wind up suing me for shooting him.

I’m pretty sure we have a law against that scenario. Also, it seems like family always comes out to shake the money tree when their deceased family member is killed during some altercation.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stopping the threat means just that. Stopping it. It may be as simple as the threat running away by making your presence known (best case). It may take a display of a firearm or other weapon. It may take shooting the threat. It may take shooting the threat more than once (if they're a slow learner...). And I agree...I'll NEVER say I meant to kill an attacker. NEVER. I don't care the circumstances. All I wanted to do was stop the attack.

"Obviously you wanted to kill him. Otherwise, why would you shoot him 7 times?" Because that's when he stopped being a threat.

Yeah, don’t be an Ersland either.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure we have a law against that scenario. Also, it seems like family always comes out to shake the money tree when their deceased family member is killed during some altercation.
As I stated in another thread, the law only states that you can not be sued in civil court IF your actions were lawful. Until you are brought before a judge and a judge rules them as lawful, you are open to lawsuits. The law says that if your actions were found lawful in a civil case, you are entitled to reasonable lawyer fees, court costs and any lost wages or income due to the lawsuit, but good luck getting that money.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love reading published arguments that use phrases like "often good enough" and "statistically nearly as good". Forget that trash, I want EVERY advantage on my side that one trigger pull is going to end it, while offering most easily wielded platform to deliver that shot.

Police and EMS are but a quick, little 40 minute call away where I live. The difference between a mortal wound, and an incapacitating mortal wound, may very well play a huge role in my family's safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom