The Joy of Home Ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it ever end? I've owned my own home(s) since 1983 and it's a non-stop list of things that are always needing to be done.

Today, it's pressure washing the deck so it can be stained/sealed. The previous owners never did it...because it's covered, I think. I'm hoping this is a once every 5 years or so thing instead of every year or two since it is out of most of the elements. It's still a pain in the ass...

View attachment 291801

Try using Ready Seal. It penetrates the wood much better than the better known brands and lasts much longer. I think most Lowes carry it. Put it on my fence and it looked better for longer than any of the neighbors.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our house was a brand new custom build we moved into 2 years ago and it is CONSTANT. Of course our builder and the trades she used were absolute garbage, so it isn't a surprise at this point. As early as probably 6-7 months before we moved in, we started spending a minimum of 10-15 hours a week trying to rectify framing, flooring, insulation, electrical, low voltage, whatever issues as the build was going. We still have to redo all of the decking in the attic, repaint some of the trim and doors, add additional material to the bottoms of interior doors, for gaps over 1" even though we have returns in every room, relocating thermostats for accurate control, etc, etc.

I've never felt any value in home ownership, but its important to the family. It is what it is, but I have found new combinations of swear words as I think about the legal battle with the builder while we are also working our tails off to try and get this thing as close to what we paid for as possible.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a contractor for many years and have brought many a deck back to life. Just a small tip, walk an entire board out or ‘roll’ your wand out at the end of the arc. It will prevent sharp lines left by the sprayer. Those lines sometimes get highlighted by the sealer.
Looking good BTW!

I try to do that but obviously I'm not a professional. The wife, bless her heart, likes to put the nozzle right on the board for a stubborn stain or go back and forth and leaving all sorts of lines, and... Well, let's just say she tries to help.

On the other hand, the distinct clean/dirty lines make a good contrast when you're trying to take a picture!

:)

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, it never ends! The "honey do" list always seems to get longer as well.

I restored this house from basically a shell. I done all of the wiring, plumbing, added a den, another bathroom, sunroom, utility room, etc. I had a lot to work with though, a good slab foundation and sturdy framework.

Now our kitchen light fixture has messed up and I can't fix it, due to my health. It's friggin killing me because I'm the one who installed that fixture in the first place! It pisses me off and I hate going into our kitchen because of it. My neighbor has offered to fix it for me, but I won't let him. I put that sumbooger up there and I'm determined to be the one to fix it! It's just going to take a me a lil time is all...a person needs goals!

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things home ownership taught me
How to be a victim of mortgage fraud
How to be the victim of mortgage refi fraud
How a crooked mortgage company can and will bribe your attorney to throw your case.
Ice dam roof leak damage insurance doesnt cover
Storm downed tree damage to roof insurance doesnt cover
Crooked insurance adjusters writing false reports after telling me damage would be covered
Home flooding from roofing contractor blocking drains and piling roof tear off debris in french drain paths not covered by insurance.
Increases in home insurance deductibles and premiums due to reoccurring storm damage
How a great credit rating can be destroyed by a crooked mortgage company
How city codes enforcement can interrupt repair contractor and then tie up repermitting process over something thàt was actually more than compliant with city codes admin.
How the anger and angst over house problems can ruin a marriage
How crooked realtors really can be
How nobody regulates or investigates crooked realtors
How the US Attorney and FBI can refuse to investigate interstate mortgage bank fraud
How you personally can be locked in a room and treated like a criminal for trying to give your case file to the FBI.
How animal control tried to bait and lure my dogs off my property when they were invisible fence trained
How my crooked mortgage company turned my dogs in to animal control for running loose when they werè invisible fence disciplined
Add in the cost of lawn maintenance, repairing salt spray and weed killer damage to my lawn by city crews being careless oŕ trying to spray my invisible fence trained dogs with their applicator pump wand
How crooked the entire HUD home sales process is.

And people ask me why I rent

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Things home ownership taught me
How to be a victim of mortgage fraud
How to be the victim of mortgage refi fraud
How a crooked mortgage company can and will bribe your attorney to throw your case.
Ice dam roof leak damage insurance doesnt cover
Storm downed tree damage to roof insurance doesnt cover
Crooked insurance adjusters writing false reports after telling me damage would be covered
Home flooding from roofing contractor blocking drains and piling roof tear off debris in french drain paths not covered by insurance.
Increases in home insurance deductibles and premiums due to reoccurring storm damage
How a great credit rating can be destroyed by a crooked mortgage company
How city codes enforcement can interrupt repair contractor and then tie up repermitting process over something thàt was actually more than compliant with city codes admin.
How the anger and angst over house problems can ruin a marriage
How crooked realtors really can be
How nobody regulates or investigates crooked realtors
How the US Attorney and FBI can refuse to investigate interstate mortgage bank fraud
How you personally can be locked in a room and treated like a criminal for trying to give your case file to the FBI.
How animal control tried to bait and lure my dogs off my property when they were invisible fence trained
How my crooked mortgage company turned my dogs in to animal control for running loose when they werè invisible fence disciplined
Add in the cost of lawn maintenance, repairing salt spray and weed killer damage to my lawn by city crews being careless oŕ trying to spray my invisible fence trained dogs with their applicator pump wand
How crooked the entire HUD home sales process is.

And people ask me why I rent
Wow. You really went through hell on that. What a nightmare.

Latest posts

Top Bottom