The Joy of Home Ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another joy, having your mortgage resold. After four sales of our mortgage we finally wound up with chase. Our payment was due on the 17th of the month, I'd pay it online on the 15th typically, unless the 15th fell on a weekend, then it would get paid on the Friday before. Beginning every month on the first Chase would start calling asking for the mortgage payment. It really must have urked them that our payment record was perfect on our credit reports.
My mortgage has never been sold, but I let the bank talk me into a 5 year fixed rate with a refinance after that. My rate is really good, and with current rates going up fast right now, I’m throwing all the money I can at the loan to pay it off in the next year and a half before refinance time. Since I borrowed the money through my bank here in TX, they made me use my place here as collateral (which was paid for), so paying off that loan will actually free up both my places.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's amazing to me the house of her dreams with all new cabnetry and paint throughout and "everything I've ever wanted" becomes a dump within 6 months and it all needs updated.

Me: Three car garage, corner lot, two miles to turnpike, one to major highway, fire and police within a mile, I'm good.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to do that but obviously I'm not a professional. The wife, bless her heart, likes to put the nozzle right on the board for a stubborn stain or go back and forth and leaving all sorts of lines, and... Well, let's just say she tries to help.

On the other hand, the distinct clean/dirty lines make a good contrast when you're trying to take a picture!

:)
I found out you don't need a high pressure sprayer for decks and fences unless you have surface damage and rot. I just used a pump up spray can used for weeds or fertilizer with a bleach solution. It takes the grey right off of the wood. People driving by thought I had put up a new redwood fence.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LIving in the city for my first 50 years then moving out to the stick on 45 acres with a house that needs remodel, I've found that every weekend is filled with cleaning, repairing, demoing, removing, adjusting, rebuilding, doing it the correct way, etc, etc, etc. And this doesn't even include the house under remodel by professional contractors. This is just the property, shop fences, gates, landcare and other items not related to the remodel.

That being said, I really enjoy doing all of it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the Great Statewide Remodeling Saga of 2021 is about to end, After the fourth, yes I said 4th, tear out and tile of our bathroom, they left here today with a much better quality result than the previous ones.

I'll just say this fiasco started last May, May 2021. I knew it was going to be a bad deal when the original sales lady for our project would never get back with us. We had crews that thought they could tile a wall that couldn't. We had the wrong tile shipped and installed, and the time before this we left the "expert" alone and at the end of the day had black grout instead of the contracted white grout.

Within one day of Statewide receiving my wife's complaint to the BBB, the third rep showed up saying the previous two were fired and they would chop off thousands of our contract in order to get it done right.

From uneven tile, 3/4 inch grout lines, drawers that hit the walls when opened, a ceiling that was so uneven you could see it with the naked eye, chipped tub, tub not grouted in, no hot water to bypass valve, no insulation in wall or ceiling, scratched up toilet bidet lid and broken bidet lid spring, cigarettes and trash in yard, broken tile pieces all over the back yard, I could go on forever.

Maybe, I said maybe, the fourth time is the charm.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its a heck of a lot easier to get it right the first time. That was one of the last discussions I had with our builder before she blocked my number. Our trim carpenters were not skilled craftsmen. Ive never seen someone install an interior door frame without the door hung, and the incredibly uneven and excessive gaps around every single door is evidence why. So I am going over that part with the builder and she reminds me theyve been trim carpenters for over 25 years. I reminded her there could be a lube tech at Wal-Mart for 25 years, it doesnt make him good at what he does. I also let her know I expect someone to tell me they dont have the time or skills to do something correctly, because I dont have the time or patience to tear it out and do it right nor the money to pay someone else to redo it. That was the last she spoke to me directly, everything after that went through my wife unless I had to get in her ass for not listening to my wife's requests. Our attorney provided her and her attorney the walk through with our final check list.

We still have an "indoor water feature" in our garage every time we get heavy rain from the NNW. gallons of water leak in, run under the 2nd story floor to the middle of the garage and dump drywall debris on our floors, cars, etc. Been that way since before we moved in with a couple more leaks showing up in the past 12 months.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks, dude...
There are fixes to all of it so I try really hard not to get too caught up in it.

I'm really excited for you on your setup in the country and all of the projects to make it feel more and more like yours. Houses are a lot like fun cars to me, all of the little changes and improvements I can do make it feel more and more like mine. Make sure to follow up with some after shots. Helping my uncle clean and seal the deck was always so rewarding to see after it was all done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom