The king of stupid stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Humans have been storing gas in regular gas cans for decades with a simple twist cap, but then all of a sudden, we need all sorts of fancy unworkable 5 step complicated spouts that don't work or break down and can't be replaced. I agree completely with the title of this thread, this is the type of stupid that makes one nuts when trying to simply go out and buy a gas can, or say, you get a crack in the plastic spout of your existing gas can. Atwood's replacement kit helped me out too last time.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think these clumsy spouts are an environmental thing.
They're fallout from the lawsuits over safety that destroyed Blitz a few years ago.
Blitz had a plant in Miami, OK and used to make most of the gas cans used in the USA.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, Blitz got sued out of existence because their products were used by people too stupid to operate a doorknob, let alone deal with something as combustible as gasoline.

At least with the last Blitz cans you could use a 7/16" drill bit, a length of baling wire, and the valve stem for a tubeless tire to make a vent for them. I had to periodically replace the valve stem, as the gasoline vapors would attack the rubber, but it was better than the crap plastic cans you can get now.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I no longer carry gas cans or deal with filling them up. My solution was under the hood of my 2000 Silverado. Bought an adaptor for the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and quick disconnect fitting. Found the wire that goes to the fuel pump, added a relay and switch so I could run the fuel pump with the key off. Now all I have to do is connect my hose to the quick disconnect and turn on the pump. I's a little slow but works great and have a 34 gal gas can that I can drive to the gas station.

TruckFuel1.jpg

TruckFuel2.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BReeves-- do you always buy non ethanol gas? I won't run ethanol blend in my small engines. I also have a weedeater, chain saw and leaf blower that used mixed gas.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being able to use a fuel pump in your vehicle to fill up the tanks in tools with small engines strikes me as brilliant. I wonder if there is a money making product or service there for those that aren't mechanically inclined. Securing it may be an issue though.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was going to go to the VP Racing "pit style" cans but I spotted these. I just bought 5 gallon version of this. $58 off of Amazon. It has a rubber gasket on the fill cap and a rubber gasket on the valve for when you are dispensing and that's it. I don't see anything on it that remotely attempts to be in EPA's good graces. Just good steel caps, valves, and springs. Seems a little pricy until you start looking at the "better" plastic craptastics, then it's not near as bad. Galvanized steel, steel flex spout and 10 year warranty too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PGRQYO/ref=biss_dp_t_buying_options

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was going to go to the VP Racing "pit style" cans but I spotted these. I just bought 5 gallon version of this. $58 off of Amazon. It has a rubber gasket on the fill cap and a rubber gasket on the valve for when you are dispensing and that's it. I don't see anything on it that remotely attempts to be in EPA's good graces. Just good steel caps, valves, and springs. Seems a little pricy until you start looking at the "better" plastic craptastics, then it's not near as bad. Galvanized steel, steel flex spout and 10 year warranty too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PGRQYO/ref=biss_dp_t_buying_options
Toy around with it some before putting fuel in it. Might be ok filling small half gallon size fuel tanks, but if you have to put a gallon and half in a rider mower, it is a pain in the arse. Squeezing the handle to open the spout allows about half throttle filling. The vent doesn't work on a vaccuum, only relieves pressure that builds up inside the can.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I no longer carry gas cans or deal with filling them up. My solution was under the hood of my 2000 Silverado. Bought an adaptor for the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and quick disconnect fitting. Found the wire that goes to the fuel pump, added a relay and switch so I could run the fuel pump with the key off. Now all I have to do is connect my hose to the quick disconnect and turn on the pump. I's a little slow but works great and have a 34 gal gas can that I can drive to the gas station.

View attachment 128352

View attachment 128353

Saw an OHP vehicle doing something similar on the turnpike for someone stranded and out of fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a premade kit to add on to the rail. I would kill for a larger or second tank on my Dakota though. 24 gallons does ok but would love to make a trip to Phoenix without stopping at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom