The M1a Solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnston

Marksman
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
As a first posting, I thought I’d share in my “battle rifle” experience.
Often called “assault weapons, battle rifles, black guns,” etc. the AR platform has as many names as it has uses. Being a very traditionally minded fellow, I’ve done my best to acclimate myself to their usefulness. While I acknowledge their versatility, and after owning several, I simply cannot get used to the platform, or the limits of the .223, (I do not intend those as fighting words.) I understand there being many caliber options, but my sole objection is not on the caliber. that said, I’ve recently tried my luck with the m1a in .308. It’s length is limiting, though it’s heft does not bother me. It appeases my unconscious itch for wood and steel, and to me is the perfect blend of nostalgia and practicality with its .308 caliber. I’ve shot it extensively while on the job, and I believe I’ve settled on it, unless a Scout Squad model becomes available. Ammo is currently a problem, so my testing hasn’t reached its peak, but the first 1k rounds impression is a positive one.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never could get to like the plastic AR.
This is the AR-15 I want...

e1336f02ecc60c83d9996d129571cf95.jpg

AFVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years, I had about half a dozen M1A’s, including kits from the CMP. I still have one, built with all Springfield parts on a SAI receiver with a USMC-marked stock. Can’t recall when I last shot it, though.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never felt the need to get an AR because I had a M1A Scout. In 2016, the choices were two candidates that had anti-gun history (Clinton and Trump) so I decided to get an AR. After some shopping (I overthink every gun purchase) I bought a BCM from Bud’s.

I thought I didn’t need the M1A and the AR but now, I am glad I have both.

As to my M1A Scout, first I put a scope in a Bassett mount. Worked great and it would shoot MOA all day with any 168gr load. I then put a 2X Aimpoint on it but just couldn’t get used to it. Put the EOTech on it and love it. Reality is that I am not shooting at anything beyond 100 yards and at that range, the EOTech is great.

The M1A with the EOTech is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Once you rock a 20 round magazine in and pull the charging handle, you can't help but smile at the feel and sound it makes.

Highly recommend a solid cheek rest if you put any sight or scope on an M1A. I went with Bradley. Outstanding product ...rock solid rest and Bradley is a great guy to work with.

RJ M1A Scout 2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom