The Mars company has sponsored hundreds of studied to prove that cocoa is good

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly enough Cacao does have some health benefits, the Aztecs and Mayans used it for centuries. The problem with cacao is that it’s not chocolate once you redid it to cocoa then fortify it with a **** load of empty carbs (i.e. refined sucrose) then you have much less healthy product. Originally was onto used to make a bitter drink (much like coffee). Oddly enough this isn’t worst example of shady food companies BS.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

Sugar companies promoted studies that blamed our fatness on fat consumption , and this simply wasn’t true. Not all fats are the same and some of them are actually pretty good for you. Rememeber how terrible butter was for us ......margarine was the healthy choice, they soon found out that PHO’s were twice as deadly as butter. PHO’s are now outlawed and to be completely phased out by next year (although most have already phased them out). However there is not a good replacement for PHO’s in modern food production. And the primary replacement feed stock is entirely produced off shore with 90% being produced in East Asia. Guess what happens when supply from this area is disrupted by a hurricane ......well it’s not pretty I can tell you that much.

The moral of this story is you can’t trust big food, big pharma, or big government.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly enough Cacao does have some health benefits, the Aztecs and Mayans used it for centuries. The problem with cacao is that it’s not chocolate once you redid it to cocoa then fortify it with a **** load of empty carbs (i.e. refined sucrose) then you have much less healthy product. Originally was onto used to make a bitter drink (much like coffee). Oddly enough this isn’t worst example of shady food companies BS.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

Sugar companies promoted studies that blamed our fatness on fat consumption , and this simply wasn’t true. Not all fats are the same and some of them are actually pretty good for you. Rememeber how terrible butter was for us ......margarine was the healthy choice, they soon found out that PHO’s were twice as deadly as butter. PHO’s are now outlawed and to be completely phased out by next year (although most have already phased them out). However there is not a good replacement for PHO’s in modern food production. And the primary replacement feed stock is entirely produced off shore with 90% being produced in East Asia. Guess what happens when supply from this area is disrupted by a hurricane ......well it’s not pretty I can tell you that much.

The moral of this story is you can’t trust big food, big pharma, or big government.
Sucrose isn't the bad guy, fructose is. Refined sugar is 50/50 fructose/sucrose. Fructose has recently been linked to bad cholesterol (LDL) being a big culprit to clogged arteries and high blood pressure

Its also just about in all commercial food products on the shelf

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sucrose isn't the bad guy, fructose is. Refined sugar is 50/50 fructose/sucrose. Fructose has recently been linked to bad cholesterol (LDL) being a big culprit to clogged arteries and high blood pressure

Its also just about in all commercial food products on the shelf

This depends on what you call “sugar” but if you are referring to table sugar (what we typically buy for home use) its referred to as refined sugar it’s 99.9% sucrose (if it’s Domesticaly sourced from Cargill, United, Amalgamated, Imperial, Florida Crystals, C&H and most of these are one company) and I know I am correct on this, I deal with sugar day in day hout. Where Fructose comes to play is corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup they you have crystalline fructose (refined from corn syrups).

I will agree that fructose is worse than sucrose (but by a thin margin) but sucrose spikes blood sugar pretty quickly and has 16 calories per teaspoon. Simply put it’s converted to stores fat if you aren’t burning it instantly, complex carbohydrates are better for us all and neither sucrose or fructose fit in that category. I’ve even seen some people, pushing for sugar to be considered a drug......

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This depends on what you call “sugar” but if you are referring to table sugar (what we typically buy for home use) its referred to as refined sugar it’s 99.9% sucrose (if it’s Domesticaly sourced from Cargill, United, Amalgamated, Imperial, Florida Crystals, C&H and most of these are one company) and I know I am correct on this, I deal with sugar day in day hout. Where Fructose comes to play is corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup they you have crystalline fructose (refined from corn syrups).

I will agree that fructose is worse than sucrose (but by a thin margin) but sucrose spikes blood sugar pretty quickly and has 16 calories per teaspoon. Simply put it’s converted to stores fat if you aren’t burning it instantly, complex carbohydrates are better for us all and neither sucrose or fructose fit in that category. I’ve even seen some people, pushing for sugar to be considered a drug......

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
Sorry, I was thinking glucose when you said sucrose. Anyway my point was that fructose has been recently linked to clogged arteries (being worse than fats for LDLs) and high blood pressure. My wife has had a problem with high BP over the last couple of years and her new nutritionist told her to cut way down on the fructose. Her BP dropped quite a bit.

As for sugar being a addictive drug, well it may not be, but try cutting it out and see how hard it is. I had a hell of a time cutting out sodas (Mt Dew). Of course that could have been the caffeine as well. When I cut down the Mt Dew, I went to drinking more coffee without realizing it. And with the coffee goes the flavored fufu.

The wife cut out caffeine completely a few years ago when this all started and she is having a FAR worse time with the sugar. Shes a DAMN side bitchier than she was this time two years ago, but her BP is down as is her cholesterol.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite health food. I have some every day. Available at WalMart. Intense flavor - if you like semi-sweet chocolate you will probably like this.
lindt.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom