The No.1 in .458 Lott

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...so I'm gonna make this my post for my new toy that I've wanted for so long.
Long story short, I bought a box of 18 round of .458 Lott about 3 years ago and have wanted a rifle since and it finally worked out.
Biggest rifle I've shot thats close is a .45-70 and a .375 H&H So I have no idea what to expect here. I'm not recoil sensitive but all the chatter about how terrible it is has me a bit freaked out but my ignorance tells me that its not going to be THAT bad.
Ruger No1.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Vortex Venom for it last week, and a Burris Fastfire base came in yesterday. After picking up the rifle today and trying the Venom on it for a few minutes, I do not like the height of the optic in relation to the cheek weld so I took it off and will go open sights for now. I dont think I want to get a cheek riser...for no more than I plan on shooting this, and for the range I'm shooting...open sights will be fine. I just figured I'd try something a bit different and now it seems I have a Venom to put on something else.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tomorrow is range day...I'll be headed to USSA and will probably just shoot it at my AR500 target. As dumb as it sounds, this will likely just be a plinker for me. I thought about getting a few fruit like a cantaloupe or watermelon on the way as this has potential to be lots of fun to watch but we will see.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I'm shooting large caliber rifles from the bench, I hate the recoil. A PAST Magnum recoil pad greatly reduces it. When hunting, I never feel the recoil.

Leverevolution from my 1886 laying prone with a steel butt plate was NOT fun. I did enough to zero it and after that, it was no issue.

The previous owner of the Lott said he had it zero'd at 30 yards so I'll just set my target there and that'll be good enough for now.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It will NOT be that bad! And, you know it! You're a big ole' boy (no pun intended!). Snug that puppy up good and tight and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze! You'll be grinning like a jackass eating cactus! I just wish I could be there for the first shot! Squeeze, grin, eject, reload, repeat! CATCH THAT BRASS!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'll be saving the brass. If all goes well tomorrow, I'll order one more box of ammo...I figure 38 of these things is enough shooting and brass to last a lifetime with reloading. I cant say for sure but I'm guessing the brass is good for more than a few reloads.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got more than 38 rounds for all of my big guns ... probably at least 100 each. I can honestly say that not every round has been loaded, but some of them have been loaded more than once. I have never had to toss a case. Like you said, you don't take these guns out and shoot 100 rounds every weekend! I have probably not reloaded any individual case more than four or five times, but they are all still going! On that kind of stuff, if I ever find ammo or brass on sale (rare, but it happens) I buy more, even if I think I have no need for it whatsoever! You never know!

Latest posts

Top Bottom