The Only Decapping Die I've Had That Hasn't Broken A Pin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decap a lot of brass, and used to go through Lee and Lyman pins like water. I was visiting with one of our resident reloading guru's @Mad Professor several months back and he was showing me the Mighty Armory and FW Arms decapping dies. He was sold on the FW Arms, and that was enough of an endorsement for me. Along with being well engineered (the self-centering cone on the FW is super nice), they have a reputation of being very difficult to break pins on. I've ran untold thousands of pieces of pistol and rifle brass through this die since I've owned it thus far, and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I even bought spare pins when I bought the die, thinking that I might end up needing them. Well tonight I really put it to the test. I forcefully removed a few Berdan primers, and even went so far as to stab a piece of brass through the side, just to see if the pin would break (knowing that I have spares in the drawer). Well, the Berdan primers came out, and the brass sidewall never stood a chance. The pin is still straight as an arrow. Now I understand why a good quality decapping die is worth it. I only wish I had bought mine sooner.

1631595500262.png

1631595525906.png

1631595550495.png

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll bet you were. Those Mighty Armory and FW Arms dies are about the same in price. The Mighty Armory are seemingly more well known. I hadn't ever heard of the FW Arms before @Mad Professor turned me on to them. He had the MA, and showed me what he didn't like about it. Sorry that happened to you. If you are in the market in the future, I think you'd be pleased with the FW Arms.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm posting to keep my foot in the door in this thread so to speak. The FW is $60 online and sounds like a good American made product for the money spent. Saving my coins.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm posting to keep my foot in the door in this thread so to speak. The FW is $60 online and sounds like a good American made product for the money spent. Saving my coins.
Thus far I'm pleased. I have their Gen 2 model. They now have an updated Gen 2 version with a 'primer popper' that gives the primer a bit of a kick in the a** right as it is at the end of it's stroke. Mad Professor raved about his. I process a lot of brass, but he does even more! I went with the regular model because FW was out of stock on the primer popper models when I ordered mine. My generic Gen 2 does the job perfectly thus far. Just adjust the pin depth per the instructions during setup and I don't think you'll have any issues.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thus far I'm pleased. I have their Gen 2 model. They now have an updated Gen 2 version with a 'primer popper' that gives the primer a bit of a kick in the a** right as it is at the end of it's stroke. Mad Professor raved about his. I process a lot of brass, but he does even more! I went with the regular model because FW was out of stock on the primer popper models when I ordered mine. My generic Gen 2 does the job perfectly thus far. Just adjust the pin depth per the instructions during setup and I don't think you'll have any issues.
Like a spring loaded center punch?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys using a decapping tool or are you using dies I have 8 or 9 Lee decapping dies set up on turrets . They basically are clamped in and will slide up instead of breaking ......

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm guess I am getting lucky, I have broken a primer tool for the turret loader because I went all bull in a china factory. 🙂

Latest posts

Top Bottom