The Open Carry Battle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I see it, people want to be able to choose. With that being said, I see, two different types of open carriers. Those who like the convenience of carrying without extra and/or bulky clothing and those who like to strut around and show off. “Hey everyone, I’ve got a gun, look at me!”

The first “show offs” I saw was not long after open carry was passed. I was in Academy Sports and a man and woman were strolling up and down the aisles. He was wearing a nylon shoulder holster and he’d make frequent turns in the aisle. Every time his pistol on one side and the mags on the other would swing away from his body. She was wearing a cheesy looking nylon thigh type holster that drooped from the weight of the gun.

Oh, and let’s not forget our self proclaimed “auditors” walking around with AR platform pistols filming themselves hoping for an encounter so they can “educate” the world with their YouTube videos.

The “show offs” are the ones who are hurting the gun community. Because of their antics, the rest of us may suffer any punishment and ridicule from those who oppose any progress we make.

Thinking as a criminal, my prey would be unable or less likely to fight back. If I wanted a gun, I’d choose my open carry target carefully. I’d wait till I saw someone older and less physically able to defend themselves, attack from the rear, grab the gun and run. Or, watch the parking lot near a popular store where they have a “no firearms” sign. Sooner or later I’m going to see someone step out of their car, take a gun off their hip or waistband and put it in a door pocket or something like that. Wait till they go inside, break the car window, grab and run.

When constitutional carry kicks in, I predict there will be a period of time where both the public and LE will have to adapt. 911 calls will increase and PD will respond. Then I expect some amount of friction because people don’t want to see the cops and be checked out. When called, the PD has a responsibility to respond and investigate. Without a permit, the officers only choice is to check records for outstanding warrants and past criminal history inquiry for felony convictions.

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without a permit, the officers only choice is to check records for outstanding warrants and past criminal history inquiry for felony convictions.

Does the new law state you can be stopped simply for open carry and that LEOs can run you in the system for no other reason? I don't recall reading that. Just because someone open carries the LEO shouldn't be allowed to ask them sh#t if they are not breaking any laws.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the new law state you can be stopped simply for open carry and that LEOs can run you in the system for no other reason? I don't recall reading that. Just because someone open carries the LEO shouldn't be allowed to ask them sh#t if they are not breaking any laws.

I haven’t seen what the new law states as yet. My opinion is if it’s just because they want to for no reason, then no. I’d say that probable cause or reasonable suspicion applies. If someone called 911 and they were dispatched or if someone flagged them down afraid of a person they saw with a gun (which will happen) I would expect them to to respond and investigate just like any other call they receive. To me, if I were investigating, I’d want to confirm that they were in fact legally possessing a firearm. Without a permit, how else can you determine that?

Respond, investigate, decide course of action and answer the next call. That’s what they get paid to do. There will be a lot of calls November 1 and there will have to be some adjusting all around. I’m sure the media will be all over it with their particular slant.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He's how I feel about it. If I choose to carry concealed one day fine. If I choose to carry open one day fine. You know why? Because I have the right to period. And all the people that think open carry isn't right I don't care because it's my right to in the first damn place. I've heard all the pros and cons for both ways. I not talking about walking around with a Benelli M4 slung over my shoulder but rather going about my business with a sidearm on my hip.It's time to take a stand my friends . I'm tired of living worrying about thugs taking over our streets. I'm pretty good at knowing my surroundings and I'm not one to cow down to vermon. If I go out I go out knowing I'm standing up for my rights a lot of good citizens have fought and died for so that I could enjoy them. Quit hiding behind excuses. Put up or shut up. It's time to show that we're normal people that enjoy the rights we are all entitled to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom