The reason I needed a trigger guard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The acid ate the holes out so big the detent ,roll pin ,& spring were detached when I picked up the trigger guard out of the acid . The roll pin hole was so big the pin just dropped through it. I was checking every little bit. But was only looking at the black finish witch was not removed at all
Well now you know. Acid will in fact strip anodize but muriatic isn't the right one to use. We used a nitric bath. It needs to be strong enough to "hit" the anodize layer fast enough to not cause too much metal loss from the etching. I'd bet the anodize had been abraded out of those pin holes to an extent when you started and so you started etching base metal almost immediately. You check to see if the anodic coating is gone by checking for conductivity with a multi-meter. When it's conductive you are then etching the base metal away if you leave it in.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might put a sig on it. And I stripped the aluminum with Whink rust stain remover witch contains hydrofluoric acid . Did a great job. Checked aluminum parts every 5 mts. then when it started working every 2 mts . When working with threads every 1 mts.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May not put stock on it . Will see how 2&1/2 inch buffer tube works out,
IMG_1100.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom