The Ruger American Pistol Compact in .45 Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got me one of these little dandys and so far i love it. Been carrying it around in a Alien Gear IWB and it carrys great. Reminds me a lot of a Glock30 i used to have. Fits the hand well, simple and quick to field strip, draws and gets up ready to fire fast. Trigger pull is short and easy. All in all i would say it is gonna be a great concealed carry.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really hope Ruger has a hit with this series of handguns. They havent made a centerfire pistol I've personally liked in a very long time. This one I do like even though it looks a little heavy. Some people wont like the precocked striker but thats never bothered me.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it will do quite well for someone who likes American made stuff and is quite tired of seeing "Made in China" on every thing they buy anymore. It may look heavy, but in reality it isn't really. A 45 with 11 rounds isn't going to be a light weight sure, but actually it isn't as bad as a lot of guns i have had and in the compact size all three in 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp will carry quite well and hide well for concealed carry. Is it for everyone, i doubt it, but for those of us who would like a well built gun that shoots well that doesn't cost an arm and a leg it will fit in quite well.
Go Ruger, you have a hit in my book with the Ruger American Pistol.:clap3:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really hope Ruger has a hit with this series of handguns. They havent made a centerfire pistol I've personally liked in a very long time. This one I do like even though it looks a little heavy. Some people wont like the precocked striker but thats never bothered me.

I take it you have not had a chance to shoot one of the Ruger SR1911 pistols then? I'll bring mine to the E-N-S on Feb 5th.

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got me one of these little dandys and so far i love it. Been carrying it around in a Alien Gear IWB and it carrys great. Reminds me a lot of a Glock30 i used to have. Fits the hand well, simple and quick to field strip, draws and gets up ready to fire fast. Trigger pull is short and easy. All in all i would say it is gonna be a great concealed carry.

Ahh, Ruger makes some nice stuff alright...but, how does it shoot?

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no great marksman so i can't really tell you that, but i can say that i think it shoots quite well. I normally practice from 5 yards to 12 yards when i go out and at those distances i would say that it does quite well. I have used a 5" kimber 1911, a couple of XD's and a Glock30 and a Ruger SR1911 in 45acp and i would say that the Ruger American 45 compares well with those. I would say the Kimber and the Ruger 1911 would probably out perform the RAP on distance shooting, but i hardly do any of that anymore as at 79 my eye sight just isn't much good for that.
For concealed carry, which is what i use it for, it carries well and at the 5 to 12 yard man sized targets i am quite happy with its performance. I have never, even when younger, been a 1 hole shooter, but when i can draw and shoot and empty a mag and have all shots hit pretty much center mass i am more than happy, and the RAP delivers those results for me. Certainly more accurate than i personally am.
I am planning on going to the range this week end, it will be the first time i have been out in a while, maybe i can give you a better report on its performance then once it has had more than just a couple of mags run through it.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no great marksman so i can't really tell you that, but i can say that i think it shoots quite well. I normally practice from 5 yards to 12 yards when i go out and at those distances i would say that it does quite well. I have used a 5" kimber 1911, a couple of XD's and a Glock30 and a Ruger SR1911 in 45acp and i would say that the Ruger American 45 compares well with those. I would say the Kimber and the Ruger 1911 would probably out perform the RAP on distance shooting, but i hardly do any of that anymore as at 79 my eye sight just isn't much good for that.
For concealed carry, which is what i use it for, it carries well and at the 5 to 12 yard man sized targets i am quite happy with its performance. I have never, even when younger, been a 1 hole shooter, but when i can draw and shoot and empty a mag and have all shots hit pretty much center mass i am more than happy, and the RAP delivers those results for me. Certainly more accurate than i personally am.
I am planning on going to the range this week end, it will be the first time i have been out in a while, maybe i can give you a better report on its performance then once it has had more than just a couple of mags run through it.

I really had no doubts; just wanted to get some kind of review of the gun's performance from a guy who has actually shot it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom