The Ruger American Pistol Compact in .45 Auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang. Well, that's all well and good but man, the trigger, the trigger...she so nice! She so crisp! She a thing of beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly, i love mine. I have owned a 5" Kimber 1911 and have shot a few times a Colt 1911 and i can see no real reason why anyone would pay the extra money for one of those when they could get the Ruger 1911 for a lot less money. Just the looks alone should sell it, not to mention how good it shoots. My only problem with it is the same problem i have with any 1911, they are heavy enough that for me to carry it i have to wear suspenders or my pants fall down...:oops3: However i love shooting it at the range.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, i love mine. I have owned a 5" Kimber 1911 and have shot a few times a Colt 1911 and i can see no real reason why anyone would pay the extra money for one of those when they could get the Ruger 1911 for a lot less money. Just the looks alone should sell it, not to mention how good it shoots. My only problem with it is the same problem i have with any 1911, they are heavy enough that for me to carry it i have to wear suspenders or my pants fall down...:oops3: However i love shooting it at the range.

My SR1911 is the Lightweight Commander Model in 9mm. Here's the comparative weights, along with my peanut-gallery comments, on each of a few handguns I have. I used my wife's digital kitchen scale. All are fully loaded for purposes of comparison:

Ruger SR1911 LW CMD : (10+1 rds) 34.00 oz - Accurate, soft shooting, and reliable. I love this gun. Why it doesn't retail at $1,000 + is beyond me.
Glock 19: (15+1 rds) 30.64 oz - What's to say? Glock 19.
Glock 43: (6+1 rds) 21.10 oz - What's to say? Glock 43.
Kimber Micro .380 (7+1 rds) 17.90 oz - Our first Kimber. Totally reliable so far with 550 rounds through it. Surprisingly accurate.
Ruger MK IV Target (10+1 rds) 36.25 oz - A tank of a pistol. More accurate than I can be. A great improvement over the MK III.
S&W M&P .22 Compact (10+1 rds) 18.50 oz - Most reliable .22 pistol ever; eats anything. Light, fun, a plinker par excellence.

* Note that the Ruger SR1911 LW Commander is only 3.36 oz heavier than the Glock 19; an almost negligible difference in my mind, if you carry these pistols with a good sturdy belt and holster. These two are also very comparable in size. It's when you drop down to the Glock 43 that carrying becomes really easy. The little Kimber Micro .380 is almost unnoticeable; granted it's "only a .380" but dang, does it shoot nice. It's even smaller than the Glock 43 too.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've been reading about this new RAP, and I like what I see. Sure looks like a nice option. I hope someone will go buy one and bring it to the E-N-S so I can try it out. I'll tell you this; I am more than happy with the two Rugers I own now; the SR1911 and the MK IV. Ruger builds a sturdy gun.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a really nice selection of pistols to choose from there. Mine isn't quite so extensive though as i sold off quite a few of what i had as i bought newer ones looking for the "Right Gun"...:blush: Have gone mostly Ruger now with 3 Ruger rifles and 5 Ruger hand guns, they are:

Ruger LCR 38spl +p 5 rounds, great little BUG gun with lots of soup weight 13.5oz
Ruger Vaquero 45Colt 6 rounds, lots of fun for "cowboy" type shooting weight 41oz
Ruger SR1911 45acp 7+1 rounds Commander size, great target shooter weight 29.3oz
Ruger RAP 45acp 10+1 rounds, great every day carry lots of ump in smaller size weight 28.6
Ruger SR40 15+1 rounds, Great carry gun with good capacity weight 27.2oz

The Rifles are:
Ruger American Standard 308 Win bolt action with scope weight 6.1 lbs
Ruger American Standard 243 win bolt action with scope weight 6.2 lbs
Ruger 10/22 carbine semi auto with scope capacity 10-25-50 weight 5 lbs

Can't wait to see what Ruger comes up with next that i can't live without:thumbup3:

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok Drury, I finally made it out to the range with the RAP 45 and had a chance to run a few more rounds through it. I wouldn't consider it broke in by any means yet as it has only about a total of 70 rounds through it now, but i think it is giving a pretty good indication of what it will be like once fully broken in. I was shooting some of my reloads which were 200gr FMJRN using 5.2gr of Hodgdon Titegroup that i have had good luck with over the last 10 years. I used two magazines, one 10 round and one 7 round for a total of 17 shots. The shots were done draw from an IWB holster and shoot. Nothing speedy as at 79 i am kind of wobbly and certainly no speed ball. I did however have a double tap in there as you can see from that one hole on the far left...:blush: As for the one on the far right...what can i say, i got in to big a hurry...:ooh2:All in all i am quite pleased with the gun. It shot quite well and will certainly out shoot me as i have never been a real good shot anyway. All shots were done at 10 yards.
American45.jpg
SR40.jpg

The second pic was done with my RugerSR40 which as you can see needs some sight adjusting. I think i must have hit one of the sights as it seems to shoot to the left all the time and i was aiming dead center.

Latest posts

Top Bottom