The scummiest dealer experience in my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Half answered, imo Mach 1 overpriced for what you get, especially since I wont actually track more than a couple times maybe. I was kinda liking updates that were made 2018+ on the cars. Ordering online isn't bad, but half the ford dealers have your car come in and try to add "market condition" markups despite ordering direct from ford. A lot of maverick buyers dealt with that. As is, I cancelled my maverick order made in early january because they were forcing my to roll it into a 2023 model built who knows when next year with a price increase and a few features dropped and made additional add ons.
So need a reliable beater for now, and I'll pray I get lucky w/ a Nissan Z/GR Corrolla/86 or something else fun next year. Though another used mustang is still going to probably be my best bet at finding a fair price as opposed to cars with massive hype.
My current 2019 was not a Bullet (I thought they were pretty awesome looking, but way overpriced) bought new, deals locally broke down when discussing the trade in on a 2014, and the "we'll tell you what the trade is worth when you talk with financing." I was not willing to try to deal with kids wanting a free test drive or waiting around till somebody came up with a cashier's check. I am always willing to walk away. If they want to sell the vehicle, they can call me back.

Looks like you have your game face on, and the opponent wasn't wanting to play ball. IMHO you dodged a bullet.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry that you had a huge headache with that. No one should have to deal with iffy financing on a car. My advice, go to your bank or CU and see what type of pre approval you can get, they are usually much lower. Also Ford Credit can be applied for on their site, they offer excellent rates and I have gotten 5 loans through them over the years. I know their are shortages, but have you spec out a new one online, are you going after something special like a Mach 1? Used may not be the way to go if you are willing to wait. Also, if you are looking for used, I bought (a few years back) a 2014 Track pack GT at a great price, and their financing is pretty straight forward.
I'd LOVE to have a loaded eruption green Mach 1, but I could literally buy a premium brand or exotic with less than 10K on the odometer for less. :(

Ford completely lost control of their dealer network when the supply chain shortages hit. You can't get a Mach 1 even remotely close to MSRP from an Oklahoma Ford dealer. Ford also discourages their network dealers from accepting out of state orders, even though a dealer in Colorado might be willing to sell you your Ford.com ordered and financed Mach 1 for what Ford actually says it costs.

Half answered, imo Mach 1 overpriced for what you get, especially since I wont actually track more than a couple times maybe. I was kinda liking updates that were made 2018+ on the cars. Ordering online isn't bad, but half the ford dealers have your car come in and try to add "market condition" markups despite ordering direct from ford. A lot of maverick buyers dealt with that. As is, I cancelled my maverick order made in early january because they were forcing my to roll it into a 2023 model built who knows when next year with a price increase and a few features dropped and made additional add ons.
So need a reliable beater for now, and I'll pray I get lucky w/ a Nissan Z/GR Corrolla/86 or something else fun next year. Though another used mustang is still going to probably be my best bet at finding a fair price as opposed to cars with massive hype.
The Mach 1 is overpriced, but it's worth it for the TR6060 alone. You're stuck with the crappy MT82 if you don't. Also, the Mach 1 has all the good stuff from the GT350. It may not be worth it if you don't track the car or drive it really hard on the street, but it will beat the GT350's lap times on a lot of tracks. I'd say the Mach 1 is the best "bargain" in the S550 line, outside an EB HP.

FYI, they just opened and closed 2023 Maverick orders in 5 days. That's 5 days for the ENTIRE 2023 Maverick production run. They're quoting 2+ years to get one through the "normal" pipeline now.

Stay away from the Nissan Z unless you want the manual specifically. They just put a stop sell on the Jatco equipped 9spd auto Z's, because the Jatco 9spd has always been and continues to be garbage the way they spec it in their own cars. If you do go for a manual Z, definitely don't pay any ADM. Beyond the facelift and added HP, everything is old tech and the residual value will drop hard.

Also be aware that Toyota will immediately void their warranty on the GR Corolla if you so much as sniff a race track or autocross course. If you don't want an ND Miata, the Toyobaru twins are your best bet, but you'll probably do better and have less headache at a Subie dealer than a Toyota dealer. If you're willing, try looking for an '18+ Ecoboost HPP+HP, but only if you're willing to travel to inspect/buy. Even though there aren't a lot for sale overall, you can actually get a good deal. A new, hard loaded EB HPP+HP is almost $9K less than a loaded GT PP1 with mag ride and active exhaust. On the used market, most people don't seem to know or understand what the HPP+HP brings to the table vs. a standard EB. Their loss if they aren't willing to pay a bit more.

When I'm finally ready to get another fun ride, I'll probably wind up with either a low mile EB HPP+HP, or really roll the dice on a mid-late model, semi-low mileage exotic. If you're shopping a hard loaded GT PP1 or Mach 1, something like this with 5K on the odometer begins to look tempting! That's $7K less than the eruption green Mach 1 I spec'd on Ford.com. LOL

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...or sale-Used (5754036)#listing=297625375/NONE
One other thought came up when I watched the Mecum Dallas auction week before last. They had some INSANE deals happen, even after adding buyer's premium. I was shocked at some of them. There's a Mecum in Tulsa next June, and I'm sure the Dallas auction will happen again next September. If you go to Mecum.com and set up an account, you can see what the out the door total was on every lot they sold.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have financing already I can bring. That was part of the issue, they fought me even being able to bring mine, nor would they even basically just agree to any kind of price on the car other than admitting that I wasn't allowed to even buy it for all cash at the price they listed.
"I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't."

Isn't this illegal? The listed price is the price, period.

The most conspicuous price or payment of a new motor vehicle, when advertised by a dealer, must be the full and total selling price for which the dealer will sell the vehicle to any retail buyer. The only charges that may be excluded from the advertised price or payment are: taxes, title, and license fees.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't."

Isn't this illegal? The listed price is the price, period.

The most conspicuous price or payment of a new motor vehicle, when advertised by a dealer, must be the full and total selling price for which the dealer will sell the vehicle to any retail buyer. The only charges that may be excluded from the advertised price or payment are: taxes, title, and license fees.
Yep, bait and switch unless their insane rules were in the fine print somewhere.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeap. And understanding that's where places make their money, I was fine paying a couple extra % with their financing so they get their kick back in the past at other dealers. Then 1-2 years later refinance if I feel like it to my CU for a much lower rate after they would have gotten their credit already from the bank. On a kinda average car usually means $3-10k over the life of the loan. Just trying to go more than double in value, I bet I'd pay less paying 15% slapping it on a credit card over a year or two.
I’ve never had this experience. I get financing setup before hand. I get the price (out the door price). Then we talk financing. They can beat what I have or they can’t. I walk if they add fees etc, after the agreed upon price. Only one dealer tried to add doc fees on top, after I made it clear we were talking the all in, out the door price. I said since you mentioned it, my autograph and document signing fee is 1200. (Double their insane 600 dollar fee).

We are paying 2.99% on my wife’s new car we bought the last day of august. That’s the only reason we took out a loan, it’s lower than inflation.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have financing already I can bring. That was part of the issue, they fought me even being able to bring mine, nor would they even basically just agree to any kind of price on the car other than admitting that I wasn't allowed to even buy it for all cash at the price they listed.

BBB, Ford Corp, Chrysler Corp, AG need notification. That is false advertising.

They are betting on little to nothing down and "meeting your payment needs", but cash in hand cannot be refused.

Latest posts

Top Bottom