The scummiest dealer experience in my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz-

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought 5-6 cars thru a dealer in my life. So no expert nor a complete babe.

Sold my mid life crisis for house down payment. Ready to either get something fun again or just another reliable mildly used commuter until the market corrects more. Well, came across a 22 Mustang GT w/ 5k miles. MSRP would have been about 56k, in normal times, mildly used, 50-52 would have been fair. In this market, a good deal probably would be 56-60. So my shock to find a dealer locally in Pryor with this listed at 46,500 had my interest.

Went in assuming a repaired wreck or smoked in. Couldn't find any indications of that. Go to talk turkey. Thought it was wierd kinda brushed past me hoping to wiggle and get a tiny dip lower. Instead the kid comes back with "short term" financing options instead of letting me discuss what what I was looking for (and really wanted to bring my own ideally) But I'm immediately wondering wtf, quotes were like $1800 for 48 months.... maths out to over $80k. (And I think this was with me planning to put 20k down) And a couple back and forths, and they only want to discuss monthly payments, so when I said my calculating ahead of time should have me in the $500-600 range on a 5 year with. So they come back with like $690..... but wont tell me the term. Cool guys, it could be a $100/m payment but does no good if it's a 5000 month term.

Finally talk to manager guy, basically make it clear I wont abide these games and I should probably just go because it doesn't appear the deal I thought was advertised is here vs what they need. I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't. I shoulda walked out then but I'm not the most confrontational. What ensued was them acting like giving in, and I had some hope when they started to act like they could work with me going a little higher and using my financing. At 50k, not so great a deal but well within what I might have expected pre covid. Go back to finance guy. Nope back to their financing and I wasn't ready to go through another retarded round of playing a game of giving me 2 of 3 numbers in the equation to hide the real figure the best they could.

Suffice to say. F*** you Pryor Patriot Jeep/Dodge etc. Leaving I looked and none of the cars had values listed on the few window stickers there were either. Straight up predatory dealership looking for country bumpkins that can't do math.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry that you had a huge headache with that. No one should have to deal with iffy financing on a car. My advice, go to your bank or CU and see what type of pre approval you can get, they are usually much lower. Also Ford Credit can be applied for on their site, they offer excellent rates and I have gotten 5 loans through them over the years. I know their are shortages, but have you spec out a new one online, are you going after something special like a Mach 1? Used may not be the way to go if you are willing to wait. Also, if you are looking for used, I bought (a few years back) a 2014 Track pack GT at a great price, and their financing is pretty straight forward.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought 5-6 cars thru a dealer in my life. So no expert nor a complete babe.

Sold my mid life crisis for house down payment. Ready to either get something fun again or just another reliable mildly used commuter until the market corrects more. Well, came across a 22 Mustang GT w/ 5k miles. MSRP would have been about 56k, in normal times, mildly used, 50-52 would have been fair. In this market, a good deal probably would be 56-60. So my shock to find a dealer locally in Pryor with this listed at 46,500 had my interest.

Went in assuming a repaired wreck or smoked in. Couldn't find any indications of that. Go to talk turkey. Thought it was wierd kinda brushed past me hoping to wiggle and get a tiny dip lower. Instead the kid comes back with "short term" financing options instead of letting me discuss what what I was looking for (and really wanted to bring my own ideally) But I'm immediately wondering wtf, quotes were like $1800 for 48 months.... maths out to over $80k. (And I think this was with me planning to put 20k down) And a couple back and forths, and they only want to discuss monthly payments, so when I said my calculating ahead of time should have me in the $500-600 range on a 5 year with. So they come back with like $690..... but wont tell me the term. Cool guys, it could be a $100/m payment but does no good if it's a 5000 month term.

Finally talk to manager guy, basically make it clear I wont abide these games and I should probably just go because it doesn't appear the deal I thought was advertised is here vs what they need. I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't. I shoulda walked out then but I'm not the most confrontational. What ensued was them acting like giving in, and I had some hope when they started to act like they could work with me going a little higher and using my financing. At 50k, not so great a deal but well within what I might have expected pre covid. Go back to finance guy. Nope back to their financing and I wasn't ready to go through another retarded round of playing a game of giving me 2 of 3 numbers in the equation to hide the real figure the best they could.

Suffice to say. F*** you Pryor Patriot Jeep/Dodge etc. Leaving I looked and none of the cars had values listed on the few window stickers there were either. Straight up predatory dealership looking for country bumpkins that can't do math.
They get a lot of needy people in a position to fail!!!! should be against the law and probably is they just word it well!!!

Fitz-

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry that you had a huge headache with that. No one should have to deal with iffy financing on a car. My advice, go to your bank or CU and see what type of pre approval you can get, they are usually much lower. Also Ford Credit can be applied for on their site, they offer excellent rates and I have gotten 5 loans through them over the years. I know their are shortages, but have you spec out a new one online, are you going after something special like a Mach 1? Used may not be the way to go if you are willing to wait. Also, if you are looking for used, I bought (a few years back) a 2014 Track pack GT at a great price, and their financing is pretty straight forward.
I have financing already I can bring. That was part of the issue, they fought me even being able to bring mine, nor would they even basically just agree to any kind of price on the car other than admitting that I wasn't allowed to even buy it for all cash at the price they listed.

Fitz-

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Half answered, imo Mach 1 overpriced for what you get, especially since I wont actually track more than a couple times maybe. I was kinda liking updates that were made 2018+ on the cars. Ordering online isn't bad, but half the ford dealers have your car come in and try to add "market condition" markups despite ordering direct from ford. A lot of maverick buyers dealt with that. As is, I cancelled my maverick order made in early january because they were forcing my to roll it into a 2023 model built who knows when next year with a price increase and a few features dropped and made additional add ons.
So need a reliable beater for now, and I'll pray I get lucky w/ a Nissan Z/GR Corrolla/86 or something else fun next year. Though another used mustang is still going to probably be my best bet at finding a fair price as opposed to cars with massive hype.

Fitz-

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're selling loans - not cars.
Yeap. And understanding that's where places make their money, I was fine paying a couple extra % with their financing so they get their kick back in the past at other dealers. Then 1-2 years later refinance if I feel like it to my CU for a much lower rate after they would have gotten their credit already from the bank. On a kinda average car usually means $3-10k over the life of the loan. Just trying to go more than double in value, I bet I'd pay less paying 15% slapping it on a credit card over a year or two.

Fitz-

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mustang Roush Stage 4 20k miles, $55K. 2015 Ford Mustang
Heh, might be nice though I like some of the newer updates. I'd love to try a supercharged mustang. The GT honestly while I didnt get a chance to really wring it, was certainly noticablely slower than my F Type. (Though I'd think not nearly the maintenance nightmare as the jag)

Latest posts

Top Bottom