The scummiest dealer experience in my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually imply that I'll be financing with the dealer, and that I have decent, but not great credit. That tells them that they can likely get me financed and that I'll probably be ok with higher than normal rates. Then I stick to working on the total price before getting into the details of financing. Then, pay cash.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought 5-6 cars thru a dealer in my life. So no expert nor a complete babe.

Sold my mid life crisis for house down payment. Ready to either get something fun again or just another reliable mildly used commuter until the market corrects more. Well, came across a 22 Mustang GT w/ 5k miles. MSRP would have been about 56k, in normal times, mildly used, 50-52 would have been fair. In this market, a good deal probably would be 56-60. So my shock to find a dealer locally in Pryor with this listed at 46,500 had my interest.

Went in assuming a repaired wreck or smoked in. Couldn't find any indications of that. Go to talk turkey. Thought it was wierd kinda brushed past me hoping to wiggle and get a tiny dip lower. Instead the kid comes back with "short term" financing options instead of letting me discuss what what I was looking for (and really wanted to bring my own ideally) But I'm immediately wondering wtf, quotes were like $1800 for 48 months.... maths out to over $80k. (And I think this was with me planning to put 20k down) And a couple back and forths, and they only want to discuss monthly payments, so when I said my calculating ahead of time should have me in the $500-600 range on a 5 year with. So they come back with like $690..... but wont tell me the term. Cool guys, it could be a $100/m payment but does no good if it's a 5000 month term.

Finally talk to manager guy, basically make it clear I wont abide these games and I should probably just go because it doesn't appear the deal I thought was advertised is here vs what they need. I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't. I shoulda walked out then but I'm not the most confrontational. What ensued was them acting like giving in, and I had some hope when they started to act like they could work with me going a little higher and using my financing. At 50k, not so great a deal but well within what I might have expected pre covid. Go back to finance guy. Nope back to their financing and I wasn't ready to go through another retarded round of playing a game of giving me 2 of 3 numbers in the equation to hide the real figure the best they could.

Suffice to say. F*** you Pryor Patriot Jeep/Dodge etc. Leaving I looked and none of the cars had values listed on the few window stickers there were either. Straight up predatory dealership looking for country bumpkins that can't do math.
I used to haul cars for a living, dealers would buy auction buybacks (program cars). Ford, Dodge, Chevy ect would give to dealers incentives for selling them, then the dealers would tack on the extra fees to the unit. Lynn Hicky and Bob Howard were the worst at the time. You are right a person would go in for a deal and end up with a 30-40 grand note at 21% Good luck and happy trails.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought 5-6 cars thru a dealer in my life. So no expert nor a complete babe.

Sold my mid life crisis for house down payment. Ready to either get something fun again or just another reliable mildly used commuter until the market corrects more. Well, came across a 22 Mustang GT w/ 5k miles. MSRP would have been about 56k, in normal times, mildly used, 50-52 would have been fair. In this market, a good deal probably would be 56-60. So my shock to find a dealer locally in Pryor with this listed at 46,500 had my interest.

Went in assuming a repaired wreck or smoked in. Couldn't find any indications of that. Go to talk turkey. Thought it was wierd kinda brushed past me hoping to wiggle and get a tiny dip lower. Instead the kid comes back with "short term" financing options instead of letting me discuss what what I was looking for (and really wanted to bring my own ideally) But I'm immediately wondering wtf, quotes were like $1800 for 48 months.... maths out to over $80k. (And I think this was with me planning to put 20k down) And a couple back and forths, and they only want to discuss monthly payments, so when I said my calculating ahead of time should have me in the $500-600 range on a 5 year with. So they come back with like $690..... but wont tell me the term. Cool guys, it could be a $100/m payment but does no good if it's a 5000 month term.

Finally talk to manager guy, basically make it clear I wont abide these games and I should probably just go because it doesn't appear the deal I thought was advertised is here vs what they need. I asked if I wrote them a check for the asking price + tax etc, I bet they wouldn't take it and he confirmed they wouldn't. I shoulda walked out then but I'm not the most confrontational. What ensued was them acting like giving in, and I had some hope when they started to act like they could work with me going a little higher and using my financing. At 50k, not so great a deal but well within what I might have expected pre covid. Go back to finance guy. Nope back to their financing and I wasn't ready to go through another retarded round of playing a game of giving me 2 of 3 numbers in the equation to hide the real figure the best they could.

Suffice to say. F*** you Pryor Patriot Jeep/Dodge etc. Leaving I looked and none of the cars had values listed on the few window stickers there were either. Straight up predatory dealership looking for country bumpkins that can't do math.
You done right!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
When my dad bought their 2018 jeep, he told them all that he would be paying cash. No dealership would work with him. Most wanted a $1600-2000 ‘finance’ fee which is BS. They make the majority of profit on the loan. Dad started the process a year and half earlier. He called about every dealer in a 200 mile radius. Finally, Fowler called and met his terms.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter and son-in-law just experienced this “add on for cash” gimmick. With so many experiencing this, why hasn’t some one gone the Attorney General route? Maybe they have and got ignored? It sure seems illegal.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my dad bought their 2018 jeep, he told them all that he would be paying cash. No dealership would work with him. Most wanted a $1600-2000 ‘finance’ fee which is BS. They make the majority of profit on the loan. Dad started the process a year and half earlier. He called about every dealer in a 200 mile radius. Finally, Fowler called and met his terms.
Yeah, a lot of people think they are strengthening their position with offering cash when in reality dealer sees a huge profit margin disappearing that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom