The shortages are starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if the green new deal materializes. the gov wants to do away with fossil fuels and depend solely on renewable energy. in the deal there won't be enough electricity to power the infrastructure,transportation and industries plus our large homes. the plan calls for single dwellers to be moved into large units like apartment complexes etc. probably be an allotment for power usage that won't be enough. new homes will be required to be much smaller and old existing structures that can't be upgraded will be required to be removed and replaced. probably have to build nuke plants to attempt to meet demand but there isn't enough water in all parts of the usa for this either. just print the dollars and pay for the whole thing

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading some of your comments and decided to go over to Lowes.com and check the prices. OSB wafer board sheathing 1/2 4X8 is around $35 per sheet! I bought it a few years back for around $7.00 or less sometimes, Wow!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading some of your comments and decided to go over to Lowes.com and check the prices. OSB wafer board sheathing 1/2 4X8 is around $35 per sheet! I bought it a few years back for around $7.00 or less sometimes, Wow!
I've got 4 sheets of 7/16 for the home remodel, bought just prior to "the" flu, $8.99.. I need more but it's currently $45 bucks a sheet IIRC..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF the lumber prices ever come back down, the housing market is going to crash. Lumber prices is what's making the value of existing homes go so crazy.
It's not just lumber but lumber is a part of it. My sister works for a closing company and the market is all out of whack and it has been for over a year. There aren't enough homes on the market for all the buyers looking. My niece just sold her house and moved to Owasso. She had it sold for over her listing price in less than a week. Had three offers on the table to pick from and was sweating whether or not it would appraise for the offer.

Personally I suspect it's that people understand that interest is going to be going up and are clambering to get into one while interest is low. Biden winning just kicked it up a notch as real estate is absolutely on fire right now if you are a seller.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if the green new deal materializes. the gov wants to do away with fossil fuels and depend solely on renewable energy. in the deal there won't be enough electricity to power the infrastructure,transportation and industries plus our large homes. the plan calls for single dwellers to be moved into large units like apartment complexes etc. probably be an allotment for power usage that won't be enough. new homes will be required to be much smaller and old existing structures that can't be upgraded will be required to be removed and replaced. probably have to build nuke plants to attempt to meet demand but there isn't enough water in all parts of the usa for this either. just print the dollars and pay for the whole thing
If this happens I'll move to my ranch and go off grid with solar....might be able to stay under the radar

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to some market research I’ve been reading, and with a home to sell in the next couple of months, the market in home sales is being driven by the lumber prices to build new home being in short supply.
I also feel it’s a contrived shortage because all the lumber mills we saw in Arkansas last week were filled to the roofs with finished 2X4’s and other construction grade lumber.
Holding out to create an artificial shortage? Delivery drivers in short supply because it’s more profitable to stay on unemployment and stimulus payments?
I don’t have that answer, but I do know it’s not a shortage of wood products. The product is out there.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what the heck is driving home prices up? Politics? China? I've read where everything is going up from food to cars, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom