The shortages are starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try buying freaking high capacity hard drives right now. A month ago, I bought 20 of them for just over $5400. Today, I'm lucky to get ten of the same model and capacity for $4500.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one for you.

My wife's car. Called in October to get it in for some service issues. Had to reserve a time to take it in January. Dropped it off January 6 (so I have a solid alibi!!). Took them until Feb 27 to do the service because of COVID they were down techs and mechanics. Picked up the car and not everything had been done and some things that were on the invoice hadn't been done. Took car back and raised hell. Car has been there since March 6. Still no estimate on release date!!!
COVID is blamed for lack of techs and shipping hassles blamed for inability to get parts (from England).

Hint, they can’t get any workers. Unemployment and handouts. No need to work until those run out.
Stimulus #4 headed your way possibly and another government extension on unemployment later this year for the win Alex.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hint, they can’t get any workers. Unemployment and handouts. No need to work until those run out.
Stimulus #4 headed your way possibly and another government extension on unemployment later this year for the win Alex.

^^^This....Why work when you can sit at home and make the same $$$.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go to wendys for breakfast.They have a sign on the drive through window that says work today get paid tomorrow.People are taking that literally.They work one day and are gone.This morning was the sixth new person since last Tuesday at the drive through.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go to wendys for breakfast.They have a sign on the drive through window that says work today get paid tomorrow.People are taking that literally.They work one day and are gone.This morning was the sixth new person since last Tuesday at the drive through.
The Arby's just east of County Line on Kenosha in BA has a sign that says "work today, get paid today." I don't recall seeing that sign at the store at Elm and Kenosha, but they do have a sign up that their dining room is currently closed. There's no regulatory reason for it, so I'm guessing it's just a lack of workers.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's undercapitalization throughout the entire supply chain. Companies don't have enough cash, so they're all living month to month. Nobody wants to produce/manufacture/hold in inventory one more pound of raw or one more widget than they're guaranteed to sell that month. They're afraid of getting stuck with a bill they can't pay if sales aren't good enough.

The problem is that every node backwards in the supply chain takes longer and longer to fill orders and adjust to changes in demand. By the time you get back to drillers and miners, a shortage could take years to adjust for.

This causes prices to go up, because you get shortages and a loss of economy of scale, which pulls even more capital from the supply chain, making the problem all that much worse.

What we're seeing right now is the end stage of what happens when the government sucks the economy dry, and capital is replaced with debt.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see daily.

Shortages on wall paneling, hand and power tools.

PVC pipe is limited, this is due to a resin shortage on the manufacture side, so we are told

Can no longer order LVLs, Engineered I joists, PT pickets are getting scarce again.

Lumber increases weekly for the most part 7/16 osb went to $45.65 this week.

Chain link fencing materials, electrical wire, all are seeing shortages.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Feb freeze along the Gulf coast did massive amounts of damage to the chemical and refining plants.

Plastics took a beating. So did adhesives. Paint is going to be very difficult to come by in the coming months.

You can't make plastic parts without the plastic pellets. You can't make paint and adhesives without the resins it takes to make them. You can't make an apple pie without apples. It is what it is. The plants went thru a hard shutdown, and that's hard on equipment. After they replace all the damaged equipment they will have to inspect every inch of 1000's of miles of pipe in each of those plants to check for ruptures and leaks.

It will be well into the 4th quarter before the chemical plants are back at pre-storm production levels. That means probably shortages well into Q1 or Q2 of 22 before things are back to normal from a raw material standpoint. Prices are escalating. They are going to continue to do so. Most suppliers have declared a force majeure. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not just building supplies I guess.
News report from Reuters say Hasbro announces price increases for its toys and games due to higher costs for resin and transportation.
Rival company Mattel last week said its profits will be down due to the same reasons. (So that's why AR parts are so hard to get right now LOL old timer joke there.)
https://nypost.com/2021/04/27/hasbro-toys-games-to-get-more-expensive-as-costs-surge/

Latest posts

Top Bottom