The Shotty Showdown! Mossberg 500/590 vs Remington 870. Which one and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• Mossberg 500/590

• Remington 870

Results are only viewable after voting.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright Shooters,
Which gun do you prefer? I know for many, it seems to be the first they became familiar with, but if you liked one originally and switched, I'd love to hear from you!!!

I'll kick it off with a vote for Mossy. I'm not going to say that it's any more reliable overall than the 870 as my real experience is limited to only a few of each, but the Mossberg pumps I've played with were more reliable in my hands than the 870s. (YMMV of course)

I will have to admit though that I wish Mossberg would offer a steel receiver (like the 870) as the interior starts to show wear earlier than I'd like, but for me it's not a deal breaker, especially considering that only the Mossy comes with dual extractors(for the "two is one and one is none" crowd).

I guess what it all boils down to though is personal preference, so what's yours?

Take Care,
Mike

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends..... If they have pistol grips, 870. If regular stocks, Moss 500. And both of those over a Moss 590. Never had one that didn't fail on me.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I have always been a 870 fan ,I don't want anything Remington has produced in the last 10 years. So If buying new I would also go benelli

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the safety on the mossbergs because I am left handed.I have had problems with the 500 and 590 so I prefer the 870 overall.The wingmaster is a lot better gun than the express.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the safety on the mossbergs because I am left handed.I have had problems with the 500 and 590 so I prefer the 870 overall.The wingmaster is a lot better gun than the express.
True, but if you buy the Express and put the cost difference into practice ammo, the Express will have slicked up almost to the level of the Wingmaster, and you'll be a much better shooter to boot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom