The Terminal List Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carr had said on one of his podcasts that they were leaning more the psychological thriller aspect than the novel’s political thriller, so I figured that the middle of the first episode was intentionally confusing, playing up the potential “unreliable narrator” angle.

The first two episodes of the Terminal List Podcast dropped last night, and they flat out said that’s what Antoine Fuqua was going for in that segment.

Having now seen the whole thing, I have to say that it is amazingly faithful to the story told in the novel. It differs in some of the details for the sake of visual storytelling (e.g, acts done to or by characters were transposed onto other characters or shifted in the storyline) or to avoid dating the movie (in the novel, his platoon is murdered in Afghanistan, not Syria), but all the major points are there, and the plot is basically intact.

I think two of the characters actually got a better character arc in the show than in the novel, and I’d like to think Carr would‘be written them that way if it hadn’t been his first novel. Their motivations are more believable, and more fleshed out than in novel, IMHO.

If you liked the novel, I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed by the show.

Now…

Let’s finish your list, brother.
I binged watched the whole thing. Chris Pratt did a damn good job. Nice to see Taylor Kitsch back too. I hope Reese survives his brain tumor for a season 2 although there's not much reason for one with the list complete.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I binged watched the whole thing. Chris Pratt did a damn good job. Nice to see Taylor Kitsch back too. I hope Reese survives his brain tumor for a season 2 although there's not much reason for one with the list complete.
Well, there are four more novels, with a sixth being written, so it’s just a question of whether or not Amazon wants to write the checks. I really hope they do.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the guys on Reece's team look legit, that's because they were all former SEALs (except for Chris Pratt, obviously). Also, the actor who plays Boozer (the one who tells Reece to wake up and get back in the fight) was the guy who got an advance copy of Carr's novel to Chris Pratt.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the guys on Reece's team look legit, that's because they were all former SEALs (except for Chris Pratt, obviously). Also, the actor who plays Boozer (the one who tells Reece to wake up and get back in the fight) was the guy who got an advance copy of Carr's novel to Chris Pratt.
All you have to do to look like a seal is get fit, do a lot of hard stuff, conquer your mind and be able to see any task through.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Book #1 should be here Sunday. Going the "read the book, gripe how the book was better after watching the show" route on this one.
I think the show was one of the most faithful adaptations of a novel that I’ve ever seen. Things happen in a different order and to different characters in the show for the sake of visual storytelling, but the major events and plot points are there. As I mentioned before, I think two of the characters actually had a better character arc in the show, but I’ll leave figuring out who they are as an exercise for the reader.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About halfway through the first episode I was wondering if it was worth watching but it started getting better shortly thereafter.

I ended up watching four episodes last night before I finally went to bed.

I haven't read any of the books but I might listen to the podcast.
The flashback stuff really got on my nerves

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I will have to break down and give this a look.

I am not a fan of Hollywood taking a great book and then changing it.

Not having read this book, it won't matter.

The Hunt for Red October followed the story very close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom