The Victorian Rifleman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Victorian Rifleman of British Militaria Forum held their 20th Anniversary Gathering in Springtown, PA last month. This group is dedicated to the shooting and collecting of arms of Queen Victoria. Martini's of all sorts, Sniders , percussion and flintlock muskets being the most common. Long Lee rifles allowed but SMLE's, no. But any old gun from this era that doesn't have a venue are part of this group. Most American guns have a home with active Blackpowder cartridge silhouette and Cowboy Action shooting being very strong in here in the US. They would not be included in the Victorian Rifleman. But even that has exception, with a Victorian Provenance.

Last months gathering included collector shooters for UK, Netherlands, Australia, Canada and of course all over the US. Here are couple of links to picture of the Gathering last month.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bri...nniversary-shoot-after-action-rev-t29502.html
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bri...ersary-shoot-aar-michael-s-report-t29521.html
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bri...ary-sitrep-post-here-for-on-going-t29487.html
The gathering opens with a flag raising and a Memorial Volley. This is followed by open shooting and the Victorian Rifleman Provincial shooting match. We say match, but it isn't, there is no competition in our gatherings . We gather together more as social event. We have several other events we do also.

Here is a 7 minute video of the Alberta shoot a few years ago.

If you have one of these old guns, this is where to go to learn how to shoot it. If you have an old Martini Henry 577/450 and don't have ammo, at the end of the day you will have shot your gun and will know how make your own ammo.

These gatherings are annual events. Currently we have had gatherings in South Africa, UK, Australia, Canada (Alberta and Ontario). In the US we have had Gatherings in Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, West Virginia, Kentucky and Montana.

Since I live in Oklahoma it has been suggested I put on one. I am not sure there is an interest.

Do you have a Martini, Snider, Long Lee, British percussion or Flintlock musket and Victorian Era gun? Have you wanted to shoot or learn to shoot your old gun? How about any old British Victorian sporting rifle?

If there is an interest then I will look at setting up one of these gatherings her in OK.

First I need to know if there is an interest here in OK. Already Active Victorian Rifleman from out side are will show up.

But will Oklahoman's show?

If there appears to be a genuine interest I will let the group know. Then it will be a matter of location and dates.

Douglas

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would certainly try to come witness some of that! I don't own any firearms that fit that category, but it would be interesting to learn more. Then, again, if I left there wanting to add something to my 'collection,' that wouldn't be such a good thing!

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the next Victorian Rifleman Gathering is scheduled for October 20-23 in Springtown PA, I thought I would resurrect this old topic and see if there is any interest in holding such a gathering in Oklahoma.

If you don't know what this is I suggest you read the first post and click on the links.

I also suggest you watch these two Videos on the 20th Anniversary Shoot held last spring.

This second Video is about the guns and shooters who attended,

If you have an interest in these old British rifles, and want to get together for a shoot let me know,

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few that “may” qualify?? Two Holland & Holland Rook rifles circa 1900 (1883 design) and a German combo gun from 1891 (if Germans are invited😉). Depending upon location and date I’d certainly be interested. And for proof of life here are a few pics. 😬
C15CAE4E-DA33-43D1-8CD2-19C9B5E20E88.jpeg
95FEFB2D-7FAD-488D-AACF-0AC7393D3E6F.jpeg
72B95851-0A5A-4B38-BE6F-F2E14CEB826F.jpeg
66058CFB-CCB5-44B0-8E5D-95DF6807EEE3.jpeg
C8AEF204-1E95-4422-A962-9F6FE92F5880.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom